Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kevino

Rod "set" question

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I recently acquired a new Scott STS 3 piece 8 wt. When assembled, the rod appears to have a "set" in it. While holding the rod straight out in front of you (guides facing the ground) the tip section cants slightly off to the right.

All of the sections appear very straight when the rod is disassembled, leading me to believe that the problem (if that's really what it is) stems from the ferrule.

Is this something I should worry about in real world casting/fishing situations? Frankly, at this point I don't think I have the experience to notice that a minor "set" is the cause of my cast being off track.

I know I can send it back to Scott for them to evalute and repair but I want to use it now!!

Has anyone ever noticed this on any of their rods?

Thanks

Odds are, Scott just made it wrong. It's one of there specialties. I've got a couple Scotts that skipped the QC process. It's part of their charm. All still great casting rods. Far as I'm concerned, they have some of the best tapers out there. Killer blanks.

I wouldn't send it back, there warantee process is right up there w/ their QC process. Just fish it an enjoy it.

the fact here is that most rod blanks are not perfectly straight. But when building on a blank with a hook in it, the common practice is to put so the hook points toward the sky. That way when the guides are placed the weight of the guides somewhat straightens the blank.

Now that being said, if you notice I said the common practice. Not a rule set in stone.kooky.gif

If it fishes ok, use it.

I guess what matters here is what you think though.

Mike

If it bugs you, you should send it in. My 8wt is my go-to, I spend 150+ days a year swinging the same rod. Even though it makes no difference functionally, it would bother me.

call or e mail Scott. See what they say about it. I did not know graphite rods could take a set. But if it was assembled then stored for a while leaning in a corner or overhead supported only at the tip and butt... who knows what that might do.

I have a 9wgt 3pc STS, and the guide came through slightly bent, like someone used it for leverage assembling or disassembling the rod. The other new Scott sts in the fly shop had the same issue. It does not effect casting.

Greenie,

"I did not know graphite rods could take a set."

They don't. Not in the sense of a bamboo rod that starts out straight and then after adverse conditions or stress gets a bend. With glass or graphite blanks, they ALL have irregularities of straightness, or more correctly, lack of perfect straightness. It is a defect of the manufacturing process.

Many years ago I used to ONLY buy "blem" blanks from Sage and others which were beyond the tolerances of their quality check. They were very cheap. I would orient the set in line with the casting axis and fished those rods for most of my life without another thought.

If the "set" of the Scott rod catches your eye and is noticeable under all circumstances, I would send it back. If you see it only when you sight down the rod checking for straightness, I would ignore it. But talk to Scott and see what they say. Yes, they honor their warranty, but only if the company is still around when you break something. These days, everyone is at risk.

Peter Patricelli