Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rpifishing

Using whole herring for fluke fishing

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried to use a whole herring, with tail and fins cut off, or butterflied, for fluke? There's tons of then up in the hudson river now, and I'm thinking of catching a few and trying to keep them alive for a trip down to RI.

Caught a fluke live lining adult bunker in the pocket of the wall ...

Caught a fluke on a dead whole mackerel that was left over from shark fishing. We stopped at a wreck on the way in.

Each fish was 5 - 6 lbs.

View PostHas anyone tried to use a whole herring, with tail and fins cut off, or butterflied, for fluke? There's tons of then up in the hudson river now, and I'm thinking of catching a few and trying to keep them alive for a trip down to RI.

That would be breakin the law can't transport Live herrin in a moterized vec.

though i'd tell ya, not that i care about the rules. I fish the Hudson and keepin herrin alive on a trip like that would be a challage so good luck let me know how that works out for ya cwm27.gif

View PostHas anyone tried to use a whole herring, with tail and fins cut off, or butterflied, for fluke? There's tons of then up in the hudson river now, and I'm thinking of catching a few and trying to keep them alive for a trip down to RI.

It is illegal to possess either alewives or blueback herring in RI. In fact it illegal to have them anywhere northeast of NY.

fresh dead baits can be even better than live for fluke sometimes. I like fresh dead snapper blues over live.

much easier to transport too. try just putting them right on ice when you get them.

in harbors usually, right around boats and ramps. its still too early. late june is the earliest I've seen them, sometimes not until early august, depends where you are.

if there is space to cast, I'll use tiny 1/16 - 1/8 oz kastmasters. cast away from the boat/dock, let it hit bottom, them reel back with a fairly quick and steady retreive, rod tip down. the bouncing retreve alot of guys use makes it harder to hook them.

another way is to put tiny pieces of spearing on a small #8-12 hook with no weight and no float. this works if youre just dropping down, like off the bow of a docked party boat. adding weight or floats makes them much more likely to let go before you can hook them. lots of guys use bobber rigs, but I've never seen them do as well.

either way works best with a very light rod. you'll get ltos of opinions, but those work best for me.

They will spin in fast current, I'll usually only fish them on slower drifts.

I have heard that cutting the tail off makes them spin less. putting a hook through the lips will keep the mouth closed, also making them spin less.

back before the bunker craze when we used to catch herring for livelining bass I took some live herring that were leftover out to the shrewsbury rocks. I caught a 4-6 lb fluke on every herring I bought which was around 8. I thought I had reinvented the wheel, but could never catch more then one or so on herring after that. so the answer is yes, they will eat them, but there are easier and more productive ways to catch fluke.

I forgot to mention that one of my best friends caught a fluke over ten pounds on a live herring. He was fishing the Point Pleasant Canal from the shore. One in a million chance, but he did it. he won the trophy in my fishing club for the largest fluke that year. He won it with a "surf" caught fluke on a live herrring. highfive.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif All the rough bottom bucktailers in the club were disgusted. smile.gifcwm27.gif