Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Another coaching scenario... typical I guess..

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

So, for all that dont know (lol) I coach a 4th grade girls lax team that has gotten quite good over the last 2 years.. a coach from another town asked me If he could take some of my girls to play in a COMPETIVE 5th grade tournament.. kinda like an all star 4 grade team to play against the 5th graders.. I agreed and he picked 6 girls from my team.. my daughter included.. I hadnt mentioned anything YET to the parents of the girls on my team who didnt get picked.. 1 parent found out that this was happening and sent me an email ripping me for not taking her daughter, saying she ":was so upset her daughter didnt get picked for MY TEAM" and he is "gonna be so upset that her friends are playing and not her" since then, Ihave talked every otehr parent of kids who are NOT playing and they were all happy for the girls who got picked and said it would be a GREAT experience for them..

I have mixed emotions.. I want the kids to play and get better, but I also want the "BetteR" kids to get a chance to play againt much better competition.. It sucks as they get older. I am all into getting the kids to play, hoping they like the game, teaching them to be better sportsman, good teammates, and most importnatly improving thier skills. but now, its starting to suck making these decisions on who is good enought o play with "all star teamS" I know its something I have to deal with, but it still kinda sucks.. ive been asked to be a sufflok county travel coach.. and ill have tomake cuts next year.. all the parents who have played sports or even been coaches, really understand the dilema.. its the oones who think theyre kids are entitled that are the problem././

worsdt thing is, this parent does do ALOT for the team, organizes partied, watches my younger daughter during practice.. she really has been cool, but now, its different..

anyone have similiar experiences?

BC

I see it quite often with my sons travel teams....I regularly see some parents (in the middle of games) approach the coach and ask why Johnnie is sitting the bench. Some coaches deal with it well and some don't. For those coaches who "cave in" to the obnoxious parent they only end up screwing the kid whose parents aren't as vocal. Good luck....it takes a special kind of person to deal with that crap!

Dave,

I coached girls little league softball for all (3) of my daughters (7 - 12 yo). Probably totaled about 8 - 10 years. My philosophy was you show up, your into the game, you play. I pitched kids who couldn't reach the plate and played kids at ss who where afraid of ground balls. I believed playing one inning in the outfield where balls only went if the infielders missed it had to suck for the kid that practiced, showed up ready, but just didn't have the skills. There was always a blow out game in one direction or another where you could fit them in doing what they wanted to do. Overall I enjoyed the experience, MOST parents wanted their kids on my teams and the kids all wanted to be on my teams. I did however have parents busting my balls for playing the weaker kids at important positions and 'losing' the game etc. I had the same answer every time. This league has just barely enough volunteer coaches to field the teams it has. Please feel free to sign up with the league and coach your team as you see fit. There are always openings.

In the 10 years I did it, I never had one kid ruin my day, seriously. I cannot count how many times an adult ruined my day though. I can tell stories about some parents and other coaches that most normal people cannot believe. It's 8 year old girls softball folks not the friggen world series. You're lucky if 25% of the team knows the score or even who is winning. Try some ritalin for gods sake.

My wife and I run into some of the kids who played on my teams around town these days (these kids are in their mid to late 20's now) and they all tell me how much fun they had and recall little stories about this game or that. These are kids (no longer) I haven't seen since they were in little league. I have some stop their cars and chat when I'm out front cutting the grass. You can't wipe the grin off my face when something like that happens.

Go with your gut, do what is right for the kids. You cannot keep all the adults happy. I firmly believe some of these folks should be institutionalized.