Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gray gables

Ben Doerr/St Croix rods?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Does anybody know if they still make these, I bought one years ago,94-95 maybe, at red top, it's a conventional rod,2pc, one of the eyes fell out of it for no reason, just wondering the warranty on these rods, would I be better off calling st croix or bringing it to red top to see what they say since they still carry st croix rods, thanks matt

They do not - I'm guessing that's it's been the better part of 10 years since they stopped production of these rods. They have a few new lines of rods that could be of interest, however.

Does anyone recall if St Croix utilized their SCII graphite blanks on those rods? If so, they still use that blank on many of their mid-priced rods

Geeze...just before I sold my Ben Doerr about 5 years ago, the same thing happened to 2 of the guides. Centers fell right out. I thought it was something I did...as usual wink.gif

I had Mike @ M&D's re-wrap the entire rod 1 winter for me with better guides.

View PostThey do not - I'm guessing that's it's been the better part of 10 years since they stopped production of these rods. They have a few new lines of rods that could be of interest, however.

Does anyone recall if St Croix utilized their SCII graphite blanks on those rods? If so, they still use that blank on many of their mid-priced rods

I have an 8' one piece that must be 8 or 10 years old and it says SCII graphite.

I abused the heck out of that rod and it never missed a beat.

Needs a redo now though.

Ben Doerr dropped his association with St Croix, and switched to All Star. Had to be 8-10 years ago. All Star made the rods for a couple of years, and then Shakespeare bought All Star and the company went to **** frown.gif

The Premiers are pretty close to the Ben Doerrs, I believe confused.gif

I broke my Ben Doerr last year on a seal. I sent it to St.Croix and they replaced with a a new Triumph Surf for $50 bucks with the life time warranty for free. I love my new stick. It is much lighter,thinner and very comfortable after hours of casting.

My recommendation is to call them and tell them whats up and find out your options. They offered me a Premier or Mojo for Half price but I was down on $$ at the time so I passed. After holding a premier I wish I had! That thing is sweet!

They were super nice and stood behind there products. I will be buying from them often!

Good Luck!

I had the 10' Ben Doerr for a few years and lost it. I replaced it with the Premeir and the only thing that feels different is how it breaks down. I no longer have a 6' and 4' section to a 10' rod- I couldn't stand that.

If I were you, I'd have a new guide put on and fish it til it breaks, which will be for the rest of your life!

I broke a 9' Ben Doerr on a 10lb fish a few years back. To this day I can't understand why the rod broke?headscratch.gif They refused to warranty it. I bought another for a replacement b/c I needed another rod that week.

They were OK rods I guess.

View PostI got a old Ben Doer too. It's a nice rod. I'm pretty sure those are Pacific Bay guids. FYI....

They were, and like Lamiglas, St Croix didn't use enough of them---the guide spacing was horrible.

I have 2 Ben Doerr Elites. The 10' and 9'4". I had the pacbay guides stripped off along with the St. Croix reel seat. The rod was re wrapped with good fugi components. The spine was corrected as well.

A few of my friends have the same rods. One guy sent his back to St. Croix because of a reel seat failure. They sent him a AVID 10 footer as a replacement. He would have been better off to rebuild the Elite like I did. Since then I have had finchaser rebuild 4 of these rods.

Yes, the guide spacing is bad. Set up to promote long casts, bad for fighting fish.

Both St. Croix and Lamiglass seem to get their guide spacing wrong for some reason. The rod builders on this site could teach them all a little something. wink.gif

View PostWere you fighting the seal like a fish or clubbing it with the butt? wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Thought it was a cow of a life time and fought it ten minutes till it surfaced,winked at me and took off. Next cast and fish and snap. It wasnt till after that when I used it as a club!biggrin.gifwink.gif

hi guys this is my first post. Im glad to be talking with you. I have 2 ben dorr rods 8'6 and 7ml. I love my 7 lots of fun on the flats w ronzs. Just ordered a new 10'6 mojo mm2 and 5500 emblem pro. cant wait to try them out.