Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colrain

My recent canal experience

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Was all good. Took last Monday off and got to the canal around 4:30 am. We arrived at the first location we wanted to fish and were pleasantly surprised that no one else was fishing this area. Decided to try some surface plugs as we could see fish breaking within casting range. 3 casts later I hooked up with my first striper of the year. The fish exploded on a yellow pencil popper somewhat close to shore and surprised the hell out of me. It felt great having a decent fish at the end of the line after the long winter. Fish was approximately 36 inches and swam away no worse for the wear. The next hour or so produced a few more keeper size fish for each of us. During this time frame an older gentleman arrived and was fishing between me and my buddy. Plenty of room between all of us. He was out catching us both in numbers and size. Took a peak at what he was throwing (as did my buddy) and put it in the memory bank since it was a lure neither of us had seen before.

Around 7:30 we decided to leave, planning on stopping at a bait store to pick up one of those lures the guy was using. Stopped at one shop and saw the lure but they didnt have the color we wanted. We then went to Cape Cod Charlies to see if he had any. He didnt have what we wanted but he did make a call to another tackle shop in the area to see if they could help us. Not only that but he gave us directions on how to get there. Great customer service. We will be spending money in his store this season.

The shop he called for us was M and D's in wareham. We went in and were looking around. The owner came over and showed us the lures we came for. He had a good selection but was out of the size we were looking for. He took the time to explain each type and what conditions they would work best in. Also showed us some plugs he was in the process of making and took the time to show us how break-away clips are used. Really nice guy. Didnt feel pressured to buy anything but I did buy one of his plugs along with some of those breakaway clips.

Anyway we went back to fishing and caught and released a few more fish. Plenty of people around but no cell phones in sight. Also didnt see anyone casting over peoples heads or jumping next to people who caught fish. Maybe because it was a work day. All in all a great day off and a good start to the season for us.

Heard good things about those, but a little pricey for me....I'd be too worried of losing it, a jig...no problem - but to get hung up with one of those, I think I would feel it. Thanks though...

Awesome Steve, good way to start and a great way to spend a day off.

Be careful on those Sebile Magic Swimmers, the hooks can be questionable from what I have heard, but this is not through my experience. having said that it seems as though people continually catch on those things.

View Post9'' colrain? great action on those suckersclapping.gif

I believe it was the 9 inch suspending or something like that. They were out of these but were expecting more in on Tuesday. The owner at M+D's knew exactly what I was looking for and seems to be the only shop selling these at the moment.

I might have to relent and actually buy one of those...they are very pricey and I hate buying just one of a given type of lure (based on the risk that they work and I lose the only one I have very quickly). Btw, I believe Falmouth B & T also carries them, although I'm always happy to give Mike at M & Ds my business. Incidently at Falmouth B & T, you just might run into one of the new guys who was once one of the many (very) helpful staff members at Red Topsmile.gif

View PostAwesome Steve, good way to start and a great way to spend a day off.

Be careful on those Sebile Magic Swimmers, the hooks can be questionable from what I have heard, but this is not through my experience. having said that it seems as though people continually catch on those things.

I've recently heard that also. The lure isn't cheap. Replacing hooks makes it that much more expensive.

I picked one up the other day after watching my friend hook up fish after fish. I swapped the hooks out to 3/0 VMCs and better split rings. Also removed the rear treble because 3 is just too much to mess with when hooking into a fish. They end up all in the face and becomes a complete clusterf#*K. Beautiful action but I am going to hate my life the day I lose the sucker. Expensive lurecwm31.gif

View PostI picked one up the other day after watching my friend hook up fish after fish. I swapped the hooks out to 3/0 VMCs and better split rings. Also removed the rear treble because 3 is just too much to mess with when hooking into a fish. They end up all in the face and becomes a complete clusterf#*K. Beautiful action but I am going to hate my life the day I lose the sucker. Expensive lurecwm31.gif

Perfect explanation on these lures, just make sure you grab the 4oz fast sink for the canal, these are the ones that are hard to find. They make a white, white with red head and one that has silver belly with blue back that looks great. Heres the problem for the 4oz were talking $40

View PostPerfect explanation on these lures, just make sure you grab the 4oz fast sink for the canal, these are the ones that are hard to find. They make a white, white with red head and one that has silver belly with blue back that looks great. Heres the problem for the 4oz were talking $40

For the Canal I think you meant the 5 oz, The ones I have are 4 oz. And I changed the split rings AND hooks. These were designed for freshwater, you don't want to lose a fish because of $1 hook. They should be about $35 for 5 oz and $33 for 4 oz, either way they aren't cheap!