Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
windknot7979

short bass?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have had a great spring so far lots of keepers.now this is my question is there any short fish out there.I have been fishing big plugs mostly 3oz metal lips.I got alot of teen fis and a good mix of 20 to 22 pound fish.I have two 25 pound fish those are the biggest so far.I'm not seeing any shorts coming up just lots of keepers this can't be good.

How is everyone doing are there any short fish out there?

I believe this chart has your answer.

As you can see, the 2001 and 2003 year classes of bass were very large, with basically declining numbers of bass born each year since. These fish are now 7 and 9 years old. According to age/weight charts there should be a lot of bass 12-14 pounds and another group 17-19 pounds. This is consistent with what I've been catching as well as the reports I've been hearing.

View PostI believe this chart has your answer.

Attachment 362788

As you can see, the 2001 and 2003 year classes of bass were very large, with basically declining numbers of bass born each year since. These fish are now 7 and 9 years old. According to age/weight charts there should be a lot of bass 12-14 pounds and another group 17-19 pounds. This is consistent with what I've been catching as well as the reports I've been hearing.

great info right here EBHarvey -

we had been wondering why the fish this season have been bigger than a couple years past.

Really puts things into perspective -

for us though, its been a "throw-back" season with all the fish going back - they just seem like they are at peak spawning age / size

let em swim ~>

eb great info but where is this data taken from and who is collecting it.

this to is proof we as striper fisherman need to do what is right for us.lets put those big fish back and keep the smaller fish for the plate.don't wait for the regs to change because by then its to late.

I know from one NJ party boat that there are still short bass around. Keeper sized bass definetely outnumbering the shorts, but still a good amount of them in certain areas of Raritan Bay. Probably avoiding the larger bass as they can't compete with foraging on the bunker and staying out of harm's way from the big blues.

well I ask were are the shorts and they found me.I had them last night and friday night.friday they were on cinder worms millions of worms.I have not seen worms like that in a long time.anyway its good to see the little guys now if I can only find a weakfish or two. tight lines windknot..