Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Job41-1

What cast should I learn first?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Using Ron Arra/Curt Garfield's book, "The Ultimate Guide to Surfcasting" as a guide, what cast should I work on first,( to throw bait): 1. Off the Beach cast; 2. Overhead Beach cast; 3. Modified Pendulum Cast? What cast should I learn to throw plugs? Thanks for all input.

For plugs don't make yourself nuts. Just throw it out safe straight and far. Safe--no one behind you. Straight so you'll feel comfortable in a crowd. And far enough to reach visible fish/bait.

For bait either/any cast. Just remember not to snap your cast with bait like you may be inclined to do with a tin/bucktail. You want more of a lob than a snap. Bait doesn't have to be far out to be effective. Most pluggers cast far simply to cover more water, not because there are more or bigger fish further out.

Start simple and find what you are comfortable with. Go to a baseball field or any open area and try some casts out. Also check Youtube, there's some good demo videos on there. I would start with the overhead or the ground cast first, and then try other ones as your skills progress. Safety first, you really need to get the basics down first, and make sure you can get the rig to the target safely before trying to modify your casts. I found a good thing to do was get a big piece of cardbooard or spraypaint a circle on the ground (don't use paint on public property!), and put the cardboard on the ground about 50yds away. Try to some casts, and try to put the rig on the cardboard or in the circle. If you can get it to land consistently on or near the cardboard you are doing ok. Move it further away and repeat. Then move it closer and try different casts. Then move it further away and repeat. You'll find that different casts will likely give you different results for different distances and with different rigs. There's really no right or wrong way to do it, it's more of knowing what you need to do to get your rig where you want it, and not take anyone's eyeball with it.

bchlr, thanks. Irish, lob vs. snap, got it. DJ, great ideas, got just the field in mind. Will start with 3 oz pyramid in tennis ball, and 17# mono with 30#shock.

I'd think a 6" rubber shad threaded onto a hook would make a pretty good bait simulator in terms of resistance and weight - it's amazing how much drag a clam or hunk of bunker adds to the cast smile.gif

TimS