Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
piper

surf rods 9ft or 10 ft

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I wish to purchase a 9 ft or 10 ft rod, how good are diawa emblem emsf1002 or 9ft emsf- 902mfs, or is the mojo and lami products that much better what reel will match the 9 ft 10 ft rod thank you friends

Do the spots that you got allow for a 10ft? what are you throwing out there? If you are throwing out tins, bombers and spooks and don't need more distance than 9 is plenty. Are you fishing big surf?

I could get by most instances with an 8ft, 10ft for working small tins bomers and spooks may kick your butt unnecessarily.

I think one of the most important questions that should be asked here is....

'Where do you plan on fishing?' and then "Why you would need a 8' 9' 10 or maybe even an 11' rod?".

The reason why I think Where is a better question to ask is because if you plan on having a 'dual-purpose' rod...for both bait and plugs, a rod at 9' 1-4 might be all you need because that will fine for tossing a bunker head or clams with a 3oz and be fine. In certain places and times, 3oz might not even be close to what you need because of big surf and large bodies of water moving fast where a 5oz or 6oz might be needed just to hold bottom...thus making your 9' 1-4oz rod too light.

Then again, if you found a rod say at 9' and is rated 2-6oz...you really would not want to throw bombers or light stuff with a rating that high.

Again, Location, location, location.

I really recommend using the search feature. You'll get beyond the immediate responses to your post. There are more reviews and opinions on equipment posted on this site than you can imagine. You're sure to get questions about what the intended use is (plugging vs. chunking or both), where you plan to fish most, what your budget is etc. Many folks on this site are tackle ho's. You'll find folks here with literally dozens of rods and dozens of reels. There are some interesting combinations. There is always a flavor of the month. For rods, Lami always has a strong following here. St. Croix is climbing the charts, Daiwa, Tica, Shimano all have respectable offerings as well. Lot's of people use custom made. For reels the ZB and VS reels get a lot of play on this site because they are truly dunkable. Also on the high end the Shimano and Daiwa reels are strong. After these top price options, you can just pick a manufacturer and get a decent reel for medium to small money.

You can spend a moderate amount and get a rig that will last a life time and catch a ton of fish if taken care of. You can spend a mortgage payment on the very best equipment and get a better setup. If you fish often enough the added expense may be worth it, but never by an order of magnitude.

Don't forget that the folks that run this web site have a solid line of products that they sell on line.

my .02

View Post...a rod at 9' 1-4 might be all you need because that will fine for tossing a bunker head or clams with a 3oz and be fine.

I don't recommend throwing a bunker head and 3 ounces of lead with a rod rated 1-4 ounces. Ever.

What length, power, and action is most appropriate for you depends on where you're fishing and how you're fishing. In your other post you mentioned plugging from shore in CT....with virtually no surf, little current, and most structure being close to shore, fishing LIS has more in common with what NJ anglers would call "Back Bay" fishing than surf fishing, where shorter, lighter, more manageable rods are often used.

However, one thing we do have is a wide variety of bait species through most of the fishing year, so assuming you're looking for one rod, its important that it can handle a wide range of lure sizes. On any given day one might be forced to imitate 2" spearing and an hour later imitate the hickory shad feeding on them. Because of this, I tend to fish a lot of fiberglass rods which load easily with lighter lures and don't have the same risk of breaking if overloaded like graphite rods do.

In my opinion, from fishing this area for a long time, the benefits of a shorter, 7 or 8 foot rod outweight the few times when extra casting distance is important. When you're climbing over rocks, bushwhacking through reeds to get to a tidal marsh, or hiking through the woods a shorter rod makes things a lot easier, and the weight savings of a short stick make up for the fact that fiberglass is heavier than graphite.

So, to answer your question - should you get a 9 or 10 foot rod? - I would say neither.

View PostI don't recommend throwing a bunker head and 3 ounces of lead with a rod rated 1-4 ounces. Ever.

What length, power, and action is most appropriate for you depends on where you're fishing and how you're fishing. In your other post you mentioned plugging from shore in CT....with virtually no surf, little current, and most structure being close to shore, fishing LIS has more in common with what NJ anglers would call "Back Bay" fishing than surf fishing, where shorter, lighter, more manageable rods are often used.

However, one thing we do have is a wide variety of bait species through most of the fishing year, so assuming you're looking for one rod, its important that it can handle a wide range of lure sizes. On any given day one might be forced to imitate 2" spearing and an hour later imitate the hickory shad feeding on them. Because of this, I tend to fish a lot of fiberglass rods which load easily with lighter lures and don't have the same risk of breaking if overloaded like graphite rods do.

In my opinion, from fishing this area for a long time, the benefits of a shorter, 7 or 8 foot rod outweight the few times when extra casting distance is important. When you're climbing over rocks, bushwhacking through reeds to get to a tidal marsh, or hiking through the woods a shorter rod makes things a lot easier, and the weight savings of a short stick make up for the fact that fiberglass is heavier than graphite.

So, to answer your question - should you get a 9 or 10 foot rod? - I would say neither.

I use a 10' MH 1-4oz with bait. It has served me well but then again I do agree that a 2-6 is better. It is very stiff...(for my specific application) Very seldom have I needed anything more...and if I did, I would'nt be throwing chunks.

If that rod's a St. Croix I agree with you - they've been underrating a lot of their stuff to cut back on warranty replacements for some time. If the listed top end is 4 you're probably pretty safe soft-tossing 3 and a head. However, do the same with a Arra 1084 and its gonna be a different story.

That happens alots...a question gets posted thats just...well to vague to answerheadscratch.gif

What/where is/are you going

1> is your buget

2> using a spinning or casting reel

3> fishing jetty/pier/dock/beach

4> lure or soaking bait

5> one piece or two

6> How long have you been fishing

I could go on, but i think you get my point... by no means and i trying to put

you down... we would just like to narrow it down that way the guys that

use a certain type of gear or fish a certain area can help you out alot

better.

I also believe in our search feature...alot of new people don't know much

about it ( i didnt when i first started on forums) but its a great help that

i use today as often as possible..

But by no means don't stop asking questions, as we will help you as much as possible, but this also will depend

on how you ask a questions....shaky.gif

View PostIf that rod's a St. Croix I agree with you - they've been underrating a lot of their stuff to cut back on warranty replacements for some time. If the listed top end is 4 you're probably pretty safe soft-tossing 3 and a head. However, do the same with a Arra 1084 and its gonna be a different story.

It's a 30 year old Daiwa. Daiwa Apollo Gold 1929H...it is actually H rated.

12-30lb 1-4oz Heavy.

Its my ugly brown baitstick.

nice icon14.gif

I love the action on those older, lower modulus graphite sticks - much more forgiving than the new stuff. That's a sweet rod - I hope you fish the heck out of it.

View Postnice icon14.gif

I love the action on those older, lower modulus graphite sticks - much more forgiving than the new stuff. That's a sweet rod - I hope you fish the heck out of it.

It will be putting in work in about oh say 6 hours. shaky.gif

...with a BG60 strapped....so retro tongue.gif