Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimD

rain and I'm just about to stain a PTW deck?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Gents,

I recently cleaned and power washed my PTW deck and have the gear/stain ready to go. Only problem is the inconsistant weather. Looking to stain it this Friday but there's a 30% chance of rain late Saturday? Does it need 48 hours to dry or can I get away with 24+ hrs? I want to do this right the first time........

thanks in advance.

JimD

Needs to be less than 14% moisture content. Time after sealing before rain is dependent on sealer. Some allow rain immediately after some require at least 24 hrs of no rain. What sealer are you planning on using? We usually do the job if rain is 40% or less.

Spraying or brush and roller? Just make sure no drips and keep a wet edge, Cabots shows breaks. Are you doing spindles and rails first? Be sure to tarp below if there is concrete or pavers.

I just completed an 1800 sq ft deck 2nd level with 24 steps rails all around with Ready Seal Medium Brown today. Did a 450 sq ft deck yesterday same sealer.

Nice thing about Ready Seal is it can rain 5 minutes after you finish and it will do nothing to the finish. Once it is down it is done for at least 2 years.