Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ecathell

reel question....

6 posts in this topic

I am planning on doing some mostly freshwater fishing with my kids. Gonna pick up an Ugly Stik combo for each of them. However, for me I want to be able to do freshwater, but transition to some bay fishing as well(stripers, flounder). I realize that there is a lot of difference between the two, but my question is when you see "saltwater" reels are they meaning surfcasting and offshore as opposed to simply small boating or pier fishing?

I would like to get an all around combo for me, and I was thinking an Ugly stick medium action 7' or 6' with a nicer reel like a shimano Sedona or someone on here suggested quantum...There was also a nice(to me) abu garcia in the local walmart that ran really smooth.

If I need a larger reel for bay/boat fishing I have some of my grandfathers Penn 704s that I could throw on a rod as well but I wasnt sure if I could use an all-around reel for both FW and SW...thanks

I have 4000 Sedona that I have had for years and have taken minimal care of and its still kicking. Its a bit large for most FW applications but Ive caught everything on it from sunfish to pike in freshwater, and fluke and stripers around here to jacks and barracuda in the carribean. I love the thing, I have a lot of memories with that reel!

Just make sure you rinse them reels with freshwater after every saltwater trip.

I have daiwa in 3000's, shimano 4000's and all proved to be effective all around reels. Depending on your fishing condition you may wanna size up/down to suit your need. A store specializing in bass fishing stuffs is having the daiwa TD-pro on sale for 70 bucks, from size 1500 to 3500.

Cabelas has their white zx tournament (any size) on sale for $50. That is a deal as it's a decent reel close the daiwa exceler. Comes with spare aluminum spool and a 1 year unconditional warr from the store. It will take the saltwater if cared for.

i have a freshwater shimano sedona 2500FD with a 6'6" ugly stick - medium. i don't like it at all. the ugly stick that is. actually, i would say i hate it. it doesn't match up perfectly and i think that's because of the twist lock grip. the shimano is awesome though. i love it for using plastics (baitcaster is best). one of the best reels for the price. if you're going to get an ugly stick, don't make the same mistake as me...get the ugly stick lite and spend the extra $10!! it HAS to be better just b/c of the grip and reel lock.