Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1dozenraw

Some thoughts on the Commercial BST Forum

5 posts in this topic

My thoughts.

I am not a seller in the Commercial Forum. However, I am a mature adult, reasonably intelligent and a dedicated buyer. I'm also a very active buyer and seller on Ebay.... most of my transactions are trumpets, fine vintage jazz trumpets, and I have well over 1100 transactions and a perfect record. So, although I don't sell commercially here, I do have a track record and some experience.

1. If you are expecting to use the Commercial BST Forum to make a few bucks, there needs to be some substantial attention paid to quality, delivery times and communication. Otherwise, it will come back to bite you in the butt. Unlike selling in a store, or on your own website or at a flea market, here when a deal goes south, it can get publicized and thousands of your focus group will get to see the whole saga unfold. BIG DIFFERENCE.

2. If you put it up for sale... you better have it in your hand already made and ready to ship. If you don't you will have a problem. Here's why. I see your thread. I post and "I'll take it". I pay immediately. I (rightfully) expect that on your end you ship it to me with the same promptness. Otherwise I get nervous and I have to then decide on a course of action to satisfy my displeasure with holding up my end by paying promptly and then having the seller not hold up his end by not shipping with the same promptness. This often takes the form of telling someone about my experience. Not good for you.

3. As a commercial seller on ebay, I have learned what LL bean shows us all. Sell good product only. Describe it accurately. Always bend over backwards to make your customer feel satisfied and important. This includes answering PMs. Using tracking services when shipping. Notifying buyers that payment is received and that items are shipped. Taking back product that is not satisfactory. Did I mention communication? Hey you decided to sell in The Commercial BST Forum. That means you are in business, not just another guy on a boulder near Quonnie.

4. Remember that it is your SOL ID that is attached to the thread. Not your mom's, dad's or girlfriend's. Take responsibility for any problems that arise and correct them quickly without any explanation about who is to blame. FIX IT FAST.

5. Always use tracking or delivery confirmation when shipping. Why should you pay extra for that, you ask?.... (Occasionally I don't... but I know full well it's my risk and my problem if the item gets lost).

Perhaps you should read this.

2. Sellers responsibilities - for any sale in this forum, including 3rd party sales as noted above:

You are responsible for shipping problems, items lost in shipping, damaged in shipping, items that were not represented properly in your post, and all immediate refunds for items lost/damaged in shipping. The buyer does not have to wait for your refund from the shipper, that is your problem. The buyer does not have to wait for your friend to get the money back to you, that's your problem. When you sell something here, it is your responsibility to follow all the normally accepted rules of selling. The biggest of those is that until the buyer receives an item, that item is considered in your possession and is your responsibility. Just because you shipped it does NOT end your responsibility -- that only ends when the buyer has taken possession of the item. ****We WILL NOT become involved in these such disputes -- but any buyer that reports this particular problem will have the satisfaction of knowing that particular seller will never use this forum again in any manner, buying/selling or trading. It's your responsibility, act like an adult and do the right thing.

6. Last (because I have to go to work... there is probably more). Remember that you are posting in a forum that is made up of your entire customer base and those folks you deal with can post positive or negative info about their dealings with you in any number of ways in several forums on this site. This place is focused and not anonymous. It's a really small world here and word gets around really fast... by PM or right out in the open. This place does not provide the control or privacy of transactions that happen in small locations or on your own website where public feedback is not an option unless you provide it (and edit the content). I know TimS wants problems reported instead of public threads that are accusatory posted. But word gets around. Use your heads and common sense. Avoid a hassle. Most of the problems that I have witnessed, experienced myself, or read about, were not from dishonesty. They were from a lack of attention, lack of common sense and smart practices that came back to bite folks in the ass.

Just a reminder..... Threads: 371,477, Posts: 5,351,553, Members: 34,453

Anyway, that's just my opinion. It's worth no more or less than the opinion of any one member on this site. I don't make the rules... thank God (we'd probably have 3 posts and 1 member), but I know what has worked for me in other venues. I make a bit of $$$ on the auction site buying and selling stuff I know and love. And the above guidelines have helped me do just that. Thought I'd share.

Thanks .. I was not sure that posting my experiences and thoughts was appropriate, but I was inspired because often when I read about deals gone south or see threads where a particular seller or buyer is named and focused upon negatively I think about how easily things go badly when simple communication and some sensible decisions could have avoided any and all problems. Mostly I decided to post because on another non-fishing website where I am an active member there is a 44 page, 863 post thread dealing with a custom trumpet maker ($4000-$10000 horns) who failed to deliver on time, made promises not kept, did not reply to emails and placed blame on others as an explanation. He supports his family and employees through his business and that thread on a site very well viewed by the high end pro trumpet playing and buying public probably has severely damaged his reputation. The thread would have never been started had he answered emails promptly, been candid about how long it would be before the horn was finished and shipped and, when confronted, simply said that he had screwed up and would make it right whatever it took. So, my post here was really a reaction to that and similar threads here. I'm not sure the horn maker or others really think about the risks of selling stuff on sites where their product and business methods might be publicly discussed without any ability to edit what is posted. Anyway, just wanted to say this was not pointed at anyone in particular. Just a reminder for us all that communication really is essential. And also that posts that are specific to one individual really can do some damage. Restraint of tongue and pen, as they say. Wish I always followed my own advice... but this is a reminder for me too.

Very thoughtful and intelligent post.

Each persons word is their bond. The vast majority of those in here stick by what they say,and stand behind what they sell. I have had excellent transactions to date , and expect no problems in the future..Deeds can build a reputation, misdeeds and untruths will destroy it...Than you SOL for being the site that you are smile.gif