Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Raising a Jeep Cherokee

48 posts in this topic

I have a '95 Jeep Cherokee Sport and it is used strictly as a fishing, and around town for me, vehicle. I am thinking of having it raised from 6 to 12 inches to help keep my undercarriage out of the sand. Could anyone recommend a garage here in South Jersey who does something like that and give me an estimate one what is needed and what the cost would be.

I would also be looking into oversize tires and possibly rims.

Thanks in advance guys.

Spig

Six to twelve inches is sky high, and you will be basically changing everything in the truck at that point. I recommend a 3 or 4" lift with 32 or 33 inch tires.

The cost to do that would be more than the truck. I am assuming you mean the total ground clearence to 12" requiring a 6" lift still huge. My 3" YJ lift with tires was about $1200 I did it my self so double that for labor at $90 and hour

You go building a truck like that and the Retirement Community won't let you park it in your driveway.

Lift is 3 inches and rinse it at the spray wash now and then.

With a lift that high you would be able to clear huge tires. I doubt you can find a packaged kit that will go over 6 inches above stock. Changes needed:

every front end part you have

pitman arm

links

track bar

control arms

springs

leafs

shocks

drive shafts

transfer case output shafts

differential angles

brake lines

to name a few. if you don't know what these are, it will cost you $10,000.00cwm15.gif

Mine is raised around 6" total when you factor in the larger tires and lift, 4.5" lift and 32" tires. On the XJ Cherokee when you go from a 3" to a 4.5" suspension lift you add the possibility of needing a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) for your transfer case. In my opinion if you want a lift a 3" with 31's will be perfect. Cheap to buy the kit, most are in the $400 range, and install is a breeze. All you have to do it change the springs and shocks. A 3" with 31's will give you a overall lift of around 4.5".

Here is a 3" with 31's

600RR019.jpg

Here is mine, 4.5" with 32's

I've been doing some research on lifting my 97 and it looks like 3 inches is max if you don't want to start getting too expensive. After 3 inches you start running into possible driveline problems known as Death Wobble. The most common fix is special drive line. If your just rolling over sand and not going flex the thing a 3 inch lift with some 31 inch tires might be the ticket. I have 30X9.5 BFG with no lift. Jeep forum is a good place to look for Jeep questions

Your thinking of driveline vibrations that would require a slipyoke eliminator. Death wobble is oscillation that occurs from loose front end parts (tie rod ends, ball joints, ect).

Once you go above 32 or 33" tires you also have to factor in the cost of regearing both axles. When I worked at a 4x4 shop we used to charge between 3 and 4 hundred for labor per axle plus gears, install parts and fluid.

My Cherokee has 2" spacers, shocks and 30" BFG A/T tires highfive.gif

View PostYour thinking of driveline vibrations that would require a slipyoke eliminator. Death wobble is oscillation that occurs from loose front end parts (tie rod ends, ball joints, ect).

Once you go above 32 or 33" tires you also have to factor in the cost of regearing both axles. When I worked at a 4x4 shop we used to charge between 3 and 4 hundred for labor per axle plus gears, install parts and fluid.

My Cherokee has 2" spacers, shocks and 30" BFG A/T tires highfive.gif

How hard is it to Change the rear Leaf Springs? I've been contemplating replacing the rear springs and spacers on the front springs. Don't like what I hear about the budget boost sagging so thinking the new leafs in the rear may be the way to go.

Depends on how rusted everything is. Its only a couple of bolts to get the old springs off but if everything is rusted tight it can be a PITA.

View PostHow hard is it to Change the rear Leaf Springs? I've been contemplating replacing the rear springs and spacers on the front springs. Don't like what I hear about the budget boost sagging so thinking the new leafs in the rear may be the way to go.

a full leaf is better than a half leaf.

most people took the words right out of my mouth. were you talking 6-12" total? including additonal height from tires? cause you figure if your running, what..29" tires stock? you you put on 33"s, your looking at 4 more inches of tire, which would lift the jeep/axles off the ground 2" more. So a 4.5" (minimum for 33"s) plus 33"s would net you about 6.5" of body height over stock.

saying lifting it 6-12" though just sounds like a suspension lift, youll be looked at full custom, and big bucks if you can't do it yourself.

my suggestion? 2" budget boost and 30/31"s. throw a lunch box locker in the front and you'll be amazed at what that thing can do on the beach.