Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sp3ncr

Okuma Cedros

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Has anyone used these reels? They look decent, and the price could save me alot of money if they are actually nice jigging reels. I no Okuma doesn't have the best rep, but Ive heard of them coming out on some quality products. So what do you think of the Cedros? Anyone actually use it?

I really liked the 2 that I had, they are soooo smoooth but I must tell you this-

I purchased one last summer, first trip to Plum Glut hook up with a 15lb striper reel a few turns and snap goes the stem right where it meets the body of the reel.

Return it and exchange for a new one and back out onto the water, hook up with another teen size striper crank a few times and sssssnnnnnaaaappp goes the stem on the second one, snapped in the same place.

Buy a Cabo 40, I have 6 of them all over 3 seasons old and never an issue. Diawa or Shimano too, cant go wrong.

isaw another post about this recently - do a search. and i believe high plains drifter gave it a very positive review - strong stuff from this well-traveled surf caster. also, i;m amazed this reel would snap at the reel stem - this is made for jigging tuna.

I do not know much about that particular model, but my light tackle outfit has an Okuma Epixor on it and I love it. I am on my second season right now and it has brought in many a fish over 20 lbs.

As an aside to fitzstowe - I am very surprised that your reel would break at the stem. Was your drag too tight? Not judging, but it just sounds strange.

View Post do a search. and i believe high plains drifter gave it a very positive review

That is a big negative. It's the only reel I have ever returned for a refund. The Cedros has a grossly insufficient stroke for the height of the spool. It leaves tremendous gaps/shoulders in the spooled line at both ends of the spool. It's a wind knot machine. - HPD

PS - I posted about this but I can't find it with the search function headscratch.gif

PPS - Ah Ha! http://stripersonline.com/surftalk/s...&highlight=gap

Never was a Big fan of any of the Okuma line. The look pretty but have had friends that had them fall apart.

They'll have to come a long way before I would even consider buying one.

It been said for years you get what you pay for.

Yes, two that snapped at the stem. The stem is not solid it's a three sided cast aluminum piece and they both snapped right where the stem meets the body.

I don't make this stuff up, I wish it did not happen because I actually was impressed with the reel.

my mistake - it must've been someone else. sorry about that; probably my fault for not finishing reading the whole review post. good to know though. thanks

View PostThat is a big negative. It's the only reel I have ever returned for a refund. The Cedros has a grossly insufficient stroke for the height of the spool. It leaves tremendous gaps/shoulders in the spooled line at both ends of the spool. It's a wind knot machine. - HPD

PS - I posted about this but I can't find it with the search function headscratch.gif

PPS - Ah Ha! http://stripersonline.com/surftalk/s...&highlight=gap

View PostI really liked the 2 that I had, they are soooo smoooth but I must tell you this-

I purchased one last summer, first trip to Plum Glut hook up with a 15lb striper reel a few turns and snap goes the stem right where it meets the body of the reel.

Return it and exchange for a new one and back out onto the water, hook up with another teen size striper crank a few times and sssssnnnnnaaaappp goes the stem on the second one, snapped in the same place.

Buy a Cabo 40, I have 6 of them all over 3 seasons old and never an issue. Diawa or Shimano too, cant go wrong.

What size cedros were you using?

View PostWas it a big, medium or small size reel with what lb line? Or how about relative to the cabo 40 which both of us own.

30 lb braid and it was just a bit bigger and heavier than the cab 40.

Thanks! Sorry to be such a pester, but the reason I ask is I just bought a size 80 for offshore use after some recommendations that I received....going to give her a whirl. If she breaks on a tuna so be it......