Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dano1089

What size Stella for a Legend 10'6" 3/4-4?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

I need some help matching a Stella SW to my Legend Surf 10'6" 3/4-4.

The Stella 5000SW weighs about 14 oz. and the 8000SWPG weighs about 24 oz. I've mounted both reels on the rod and the balance feels best with the 8000, but the 5000 is considerably lighter. Is balance more important than overall weight on a plugging rod? The 8000 will hold 300 yds of 30 lb Power Pro and I'm not sure if I would even be able to get 200 yds on the 5000. This will be my primary rod/reel to fish the Surf and Jetties of South Jersey and Delaware.

Thanks for your help!!

I have the 8000 SW on my 10'6" 2-6oz

And the 5000 on a salmon-steelhead rod,which is much lighter

I sugest you go to a shop and put the reel on the rod and see if it feels right for you.

The thing about it is that the 8000 is the same body and weight as the 10000 with a slightly smaller spool.

If you are concerned with line capacity just go with the 10000, but for surf applications the 10000 is massive overkill as it is listed to hold 400+ yards of 50lb powerpro!

You'll never need anything close to that sort of line capacity to fish from the sand.

I have tried both reels on the rod. The 8000 balances better. I'm just not crazy about 24 oz. Is balance more important than weight?

Charrua - how tiring is plugging with the 8000 and the 10'6" 2-6?

Not tiring,it's only a couple of ounces more than a comparable reel after all.

Think about it,that extra heft it's because of the superior internals and materials used on the reel.

I have both the 5000 & 8000 Stella The 8000 is on a 10' 1-4 Legend & the 5000 is on a 8 1/2' Tri-Flex Lami & IMO feel great & work for me.

IMO Too many people worry about how much line they can get on any reel.

300yds is 900 feet & fishing from the beach I haven't heard of any fish spooling 300yds of line.

Most of the guys here are fishing stripers or blues & neither of these fish are going to spool you.

I can see a GT off a boat you may need some extra line but the adverage surf reel doesn't need tons of line.

The 8000 fits nice on a 10-10 1/2' rod IMO the 5000 is to small for the 10 1/2 rod.

Thanks for your reply Flytyingguy. I enjoy your posts. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 8000 PG, I can get it for 30 dollars less than the 5000 on closeout. I prefer the slower retreive for Stripers anyway. I just hope it isn't too much for all day plugging. I've seen in your posts that the 10' Legend and the 8000 can really launch them. Does that outfit wear you out plugging?

For What its worth I have a ZX22 on my 10'6". I have been able to fit about 300 yds. of 40lb power pro on it. I feel confident that I will be able to land any striper or blue I will ever hook in to. I prefer the lightest possible setup. I think the 5000 would be a little too light though I widh the stella had a size in between. A jump from 14oz to 24oz leaves a big gap..

Yep, I agree. I could gain some line capacity with a 6000 SW, but since it is JDM only, it is too expensive and it would still be too light for the 10'6"

The 5000SW weighs 14.3 where the 8000SW weighs in at 22.1 & will hold 280 yards of 40lb PP

I use 30lb Sufix & really don't recall how much line I have on there. But Am going to switch over to the Jerry Brown Braid line. ( I have heard some very good reports about this line & will do a review after using it for awhile.)

It all depends on your physical condition plugging all day can put a toll on anyone! ( I'm 60yrs old even though the mind thinks I'm 25 at times cwm27.gif )

I get tired at times & switch over to the lighter Stella 5000 which is able to handle any 100lb fish. With the smaller set up I can go all day without any problem.

As far as the Legend it is super light and takes a little time getting use to but it will cast like a rocket & has an amazing back bone.

I know your going to be very happy with your set up. Hope I answered some of your questions................Ron

View PostI have tried both reels on the rod. The 8000 balances better. I'm just not crazy about 24 oz. Is balance more important than weight?

Tough question...and i think it was answered somewhat..

Heres how i feel, reducing weight is important but there is a point where you reduce so much weight there is simply no balance anymore...What i'm saying is find a happy medium between balance and weight.. which the 8000 and 10' sound like. Although it may sound heavy on paper, if you like it and it balances well, by all means go with that setup. It is much on personal preference...But it the 10' with the 8000 sounds pretty sweet to me.

I think what will tire you out more between a 5K setup and 8K setup would be the whole package including the bigger plugs you have to cast and work rather than pin pointing the reel itself. I run my 8' Legend on the Twinpower SW5000 and it'll go all day throwing small plugs but any setup where I use a 10'+ rod and bigger plugs, I get tired quicker - that's just how it is. I don't think the extra weight in the reel would make a big difference but it will to a certain extent. If you're that worried, get a Sustain or Saragosa 8K.

Just went through a similar scenario with different products. I was looking at a new "dry" reel for my GSB 120 1M. Decided to go with a stradic, and was torn between 5k and 8k. I finally decided on the 8k...in the long run, the better balance seems to be working more in my favor. Plus, the larger spool diameter gives a little better casting distance.Just my .02smile.gif

Thanks to all for the sound advice. I'm all but positive that I'm going to go with the 8000. It sounds like it is a better match for my rod and I'm getting a good deal on it close to home.

View PostThanks to all for the sound advice. I'm all but positive that I'm going to go with the 8000. It sounds like it is a better match for my rod and I'm getting a good deal on it close to home.

You'll be happy with the 8000 on the Legend.

And you won't be too tired after a day of fishing,unless you're seriously out of shape icon24.gif

biggrin.gif