Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperZ

First nice big fish of the season

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Another banner day, we cruised out at 6:00 am to the good spot and again fished up until the tide slacked out, 8 am.

Best fish of the day - 39" 20# - I caught this one on a lead head with a larger sluggo, also light green Ronzi worked, silver Ronzi worked, and the fake looking sand eel worked (made out of real sand eel oil). This fish was really fun, because I took it on my smallest rod. Shimano Spheros 4000 reel on a light duty kingfisher(?) rod. 20 lb magibraid with a 20 lb leader. It was a good fight.

This will not be good once the blues show up.

You could walk to a spot that would allow you to catch these guys. It would be a long walk with no four wheel drive. It is not the ditch.

I was concerned about burning the spot so I obscured the identifiers.

May15_40_nospotburn.png

Nice fish, what size Grady? I used to have alot of design input on the Gradys and have been down to the plant in Greenville many times to meet with Eddy Smith (owner) and Wiley Corbit (ret.) They are great boats and I have had/ fished many of them ...

Grady is a 1985 227 seafarer. It is powered by a volvo penta put in in 2004 with a new transom. I should have put on an outboard platform, and powered it with an out board.

And yes, it is fun catching cows on light tackle. I would not have it any other way.

View PostGrady is a 1985 227 seafarer. It is powered by a volvo penta put in in 2004 with a new transom. I should have put on an outboard platform, and powered it with an out board.

And yes, it is fun catching cows on light tackle. I would not have it any other way.

Z, the 22 seafarer was my first Grady w/IO. The IO weight mounted at a low center of gravity makes it a better sea boat than the outboard, and the engine box is a great place to mount a small fighting chair on as short pedestal.

I am replacing the coaming boards, and all the other cushions. The IO cover has 8 additional rod holders installed. I like the idea for the chair. I do run out to the bank and catch BFT. I also like the cuddy cabin, when I sit out the weather, as mine has no real cover other than that.