Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nicebass

Yet another way to mount the transducer - SUPER EASY!

17 posts in this topic

I installed a transducer using this marine epoxy putty and I have had excellent results. The install was ready to fish in one hour, and it was set in 15 min. I am getting distinct fish arches. Be careful using the regular epoxy putty because I have had problems with it sticking to fiberglass. This product is designed for fiberglass. I think I've tried every method on various boats and am most happy with this method -- easy, effective, no mess. My concern was the possibility of bubbles in the putty, but you wont get any.

Good luck!

Have installed may without any problems. Trace the outline of your transducer on a foam block. Cut out on inside of traced line so transducer fits tightly. Goop foam block in hull, place a weight on it and let sit undisturbed for 24 hours, clean excess goop out of foam block where transducer will be placed.

When going out pour water into foam block and insert transducer, no mess no chance of separation.

View PostHave installed may without any problems. Trace the outline of your transducer on a foam block. Cut out on inside of traced line so transducer fits tightly. Goop foam block in hull, place a weight on it and let sit undisturbed for 24 hours, clean excess goop out of foam block where transducer will be placed.

When going out pour water into foam block and insert transducer, no mess no chance of separation.

icon14.gificon14.gif After trying them all, this is the one that works best for me. The water eliminates any chance of misreadings due to air bubbles etc. Also, If you have multiple kayaks/canoes/boats and only one FF, you can pop the FF in and out in seconds. A snug fit is key.

View PostWhat about something thicker like heavy oil or grease? Does the water sloshing around mess up the readings?

You can use vaseline or mineral oil but I think the advantage of water is when you flip the yak on the car racks you dont get greasy mess all over the inside just a little water.

I use A&D ointment, thick stuff, works great (3 years running) and doesn't ooze or leak. I store my kayak flipped on it's side, transducer has never moved nor has the ointment since first application.

View PostEpoxy tends to pop over time because it has no flex. Im gonna give Homers electrical putty a try and see how it works.

Yeah, you are right...I'll let you know how long it takes before it "pops". frown.gif

Let me know about the putty. Sounds like it should work!icon14.gif

So I've tried a few different ways to mount mine on my yak.Being an inflatable it's a PIA.I had it on a ratchet strap around the rear of the yak.Worked great but is a major pain because the strap and cord get tangled.I currently have an outrigger mounted on my crate.1/2 PVC down to transducer.Works fine for drifting but creates quite a bit of drag while moving from A to B .I have a front hatch and a big plastic area around it.I'm thinking the foam block and run the wire through a grommet in the plastic.The question is do transducers shoot through PVC or Rubber hulls ? For glue I would be using the stuff that comes in my repair kit.This will in theory work if the ducer will shoot through the hull.

View PostSo I've tried a few different ways to mount mine on my yak.Being an inflatable it's a PIA.I had it on a ratchet strap around the rear of the yak.Worked great but is a major pain because the strap and cord get tangled.I currently have an outrigger mounted on my crate.1/2 PVC down to transducer.Works fine for drifting but creates quite a bit of drag while moving from A to B .I have a front hatch and a big plastic area around it.I'm thinking the foam block and run the wire through a grommet in the plastic.The question is do transducers shoot through PVC or Rubber hulls ? For glue I would be using the stuff that comes in my repair kit.This will in theory work if the ducer will shoot through the hull.

I dont know for sure but I would bet money NO the signal wont pass through an inflatable.

View PostEpoxy tends to pop over time because it has no flex. Im gonna give Homers electrical putty a try and see how it works.

View PostYeah, you are right...I'll let you know how long it takes before it "pops". frown.gif

Let me know about the putty. Sounds like it should work!icon14.gif

Yep! It popped when I took the kayak out today! Going to try the foam block and water.

View PostYep! It popped when I took the kayak out today! Going to try the foam block and water.

Just go with putty. It has proven over the last year to be the best and easiest method.