Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g2h

Daiwa Saltist VS Excelor

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Looking for another reel(pssst, don't tell my wife). I was looking at these reels at M&D's over the weekend. Need a little help in picking out the best one for me.

It's going on a 10' Allstar 1208 and being fished at the Canal mostly. From pencils to eels. Thanks in advance.

They do look nice but I have an issue with any reel of this size whose handle does not thread into the main gear. Especially a reel that costs $200 clams. Daiwa has thread in handles on smaller reels. headscratch.gif There is no doubt that they overlooked this on the saltist. At the tackle counter, they all feel good but out in the surf you will feel the difference. I'm not bashing Daiwa or the reel here. Older shimanos felt the same before they went to the thread in design. Just my opinion. It's more of a feel thing rather than a function thing. If you took a penn sargus and saltist out in the field and did the same thing with both reel, you can feel the dif. Keep in mind that the sargus is half the price of the saltist. I'm not saying th sargus is a better reel but it will feel a lot stronger.

View PostThey do look nice but I have an issue with any reel of this size whose handle does not thread into the main gear. Especially a reel that costs $200 clams. Daiwa has thread in handles on smaller reels. headscratch.gif There is no doubt that they overlooked this on the saltist. At the tackle counter, they all feel good but out in the surf you will feel the difference. I'm not bashing Daiwa or the reel here. Older shimanos felt the same before they went to the thread in design. Just my opinion. It's more of a feel thing rather than a function thing. If you took a penn sargus and saltist out in the field and did the same thing with both reel, you can feel the dif. Keep in mind that the sargus is half the price of the saltist. I'm not saying th sargus is a better reel but it will feel a lot stronger.

How would you explain this "difference in feel"?

I can best discribe it as "play in the handle". You can feel it by holding the rotor and trying to turn the handle gently in either direction. You will feel a slight play coming from the space between the handle shaft and the hole through the drive gear. It just does not feel rock solid like a thread in handle. I realize you won't be holding the rotor while retrieving lures and sinkers but there is a dif feel with this design while reeling in anything that creates resistance. Again I'm not bashing the reel but a thread in handle is the only way to go on this class of reel. IMO Daiwa missed this. If it was cost, then thread the dam handle in and bump the price up a little. I would have bought one already. The rest of the package seems really nice. Ironically the handle itself is very decent quality. I can't think of any decent saltwater reels that do not go with a thread in design. Daiwa BG, Slammers, Cabos, Boca's SSM's, SSG's, Sargus, Spheros, Saragosa, Shimano Baitrunners, Pfluegar Medalist, etc all have the thread in design for a reason. It's a superior design. I'm no expert just and observer. Don't mean to rant. I guess I like the reel alot except for the handle. It seems a shame to me for a company to put out such a nice package with that type of handle. That design belongs on a lesser quality reel. An example of that would be the $69 Shimano Socorro. Again it's a feel thing not so much a function thing.

View PostYou have a VS 200. What do you want with one of these reels?

I just want a reel for a 2pc Tsunami i have. i'll keep that set-up in the truck at all times, just in case i drive by breaking fish. I'd rather keep that in my truck than my VSheart.gif.

The bail arm on the Salitst is a lot more beefierheart.gif (similar to the saltiga) than the one on the exceler. The exceler bail arm is very similar to the emblem one, which I think makes a difference with the bail closing on you mid cast and losing a $20 plug and having prophanity follow biggrin.gif