Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperboy10

need help with "japanese" vertical jigging

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

trying to get into blue fin tuna this year and need help with the different types of techniques. i will be using spinning gear, is the short stroke style better than the long stroke for spinning? and how fast do you do the long stroke. any help with vertical jigging would be much appreciated

1 more question, how fast do you jig for bft?

thanks

Wow... A whats the best stroke thread......wink.gif

Dude jig howevers comfortable. It don't freakin matter.

Half the time they hit it on the drop anyway.

Not to mention unless your cardio is better than chuck norris's. Your style of jig is gonna change after fifteen minutes anyway.

My friend is a hardcore Free style jigger. He claims the short stroke is more effective, but eventually gets tired then the strokes get longer due to being tired. But he does catch Tuna and other gamefish. The short stroke works for him, but takes some effort if your going to stick it out.

I tried it with minimal success. I think I dont stick to it and then bail out before giving it a chance.

I like it short and fast, she likes it long and slow......wait a minute.....cwm27.gif

Kidding, as others said, do what's comfortable and the jig gets taken on the drop alot too.

Not sure how deep you are jigging, but don't be afraid to put it right on the bottom if you can. Last year we had them eating them right off the sand in 150 feet of water...bounce, bounce, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....