Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ESyakr

Anyone carry a bilge pump?

12 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to order a couple bilge pumps, one primary and a spare. I was thinking what if I get a pin hole in my hull and didnt notice I was taking on water until it was too late, and I'm a mile offshore...I'd be screwed. NRS sells a hand pump for 20$, 8 gallons a minute. You might want to pick a couple up if you plan on going offshore any distance.

When I take the SIK I have a cheapie Harbor freight multi-use transfer pump behind the seat in the day hatch.I always keep a large car sponge under the seat which grabs everything except the large swells that sometimes sideswipe you.Thats when the the 6 dollar hand pump comes out.This pump would work for a leaking SOK because the suction is a long hose which could be snaked through a hatch.

Just last week I was out in the ocean with a few other guys and one of the yaks started to sink. There was a small crack in the hull and it filling with water. He was off on his own and when I looked over to see how he was doing, I didn't see him on his boat. The other guys saw it too and we all rushed over and arrived at the same time and found him next to the yak waiting for us. We off loaded all his stuff and got him out of the water.

I went up to his front hatch and opened it to see how much water was in it.

It was roughly 65-70% filled. I started to bail out the yak with a dry bag but that was useless. Luckily, is thought to dump my lures out of my Hobie gear bucket and use that. It took around 10min to bail the yak out enough to have the guy be able to jump back on and high tail it to shore. Since then I started to carry a bilge pump.

Good news is his dry suit didn't leak at all.

View PostJust last week I was out in the ocean with a few other guys and one of the yaks started to sink. There was a small crack in the hull and it filling with water. He was off on his own and when I looked over to see how he was doing, I didn't see him on his boat. The other guys saw it too and we all rushed over and arrived at the same time and found him next to the yak waiting for us. We off loaded all his stuff and got him out of the water.

I went up to his front hatch and opened it to see how much water was in it.

It was roughly 65-70% filled. I started to bail out the yak with a dry bag but that was useless. Luckily, is thought to dump my lures out of my Hobie gear bucket and use that. It took around 10min to bail the yak out enough to have the guy be able to jump back on and high tail it to shore. Since then I started to carry a bilge pump.

Good news is his dry suit didn't leak at all.

Hmm... I am thinking out loud and wonder if it would be worthy to add a pair of these?

http://www.oceanriver.com/product.as...130&deptid=49&

FRVIULDQVYPW.JPG?width=380&height=401

I have float bags and I also always carry a plastic gallon jug with the bottom cut off. I stuff it up on the bow and attach a line to it so I can easily pull it out if needed. It is free, weighs nothing, and moves lots of water fast.