Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Garden Pics 5/18/10

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hey Otter, remember those barrels of "dirt"? Now they have potatoes growing...tongue.gif

Those need to be mulched with compost and straw in the next few days....

Peas are a few feet high and should set flowers very soon........will only be about a month until Rav is trying to stuff them....rolleyes.gif

Plastic is down for the tomatoes and peppers.....within the next ten days, this will be filled with about 30 tomato plants and 30 pepper plants with a few eggplant thrown in, and interplanted with lettuce.....

Garlic is status quo, looking good.........

Spinach look great, and can be started to harvest about any time now for the next month.......

Mache and radishes......mache needs a bit yet, radishes have been pulled as I need them........

Carrots and parsnips are up, and need to be thinned soon......

The leeks are doing their leeking thing..........couple weeks until I start to draw soil around them.....

Red cabbage with lettuce interplanted coming along.....

And sorrel and cress in the front of that bed.....

Onions coming along........

Here you can see the difference the row cover makes......broccoli, cabbage and lettuce planted the same day as the cabbage and lettuce in the above pictures, but the size difference is astounding........

And also under cover in that bed is mustard greens and arugula, which I can pick as needed.........

Some general pictures.........

And the flats getting hardened off that will be planted in the next ten days......tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, lettuce, cucs, squash, parsley, kale, and some other odds and ends......

Frost should be done, get going, as time marches on and isn't gonna wait for you.........

general pics i once took clapping.gif

buddy your farmin yer ass off icon14.gif pretty work there. facebook farmers got nut nut nuttin on you

View Post

buddy your farmin yer ass off icon14.gif pretty work there. facebook farmers got nut nut nuttin on you

What can I say, Otter, other than it's in the blood on my mother's father's side at least back to my great grandfather (probably much longer), and all of his kin, all of which were farmers on a much larger scale than I do.....it skipped a generation cause my Mom was an only child, and while she still grows stuff, not nearly the way I do.

Unfortunately, having no children, I have no one to pass it along to except the folks here..........so, please take what ya can from me.....smile.gif

View PostVolvo looks bored cwm27.gif

cwm27.gif Actually, you have no idea how much the Volvo plays a part in the garden........whether it be that I roll down the windows and put on the radio or pop in some music while I am working, use it to carry all the stuff I need from the house down the hill to the garden (bad knees, ya know....wink.gif), or hauling various stuff from the store that I buy for the garden.....

And it even gets to go fishing now and again......wink.gif

View Post

Unfortunately, having no children, I have no one to pass it along to except the folks here..........so, please take what ya can from me.....smile.gif

O.K., I'll take the tomaters and the squash.

Thanks Buddy. icon14.gifHappyWave.gif

View Postcwm27.gif Actually, you have no idea how much the Volvo plays a part in the garden........whether it be that I roll down the windows and put on the radio or pop in some music while I am working, use it to carry all the stuff I need from the house down the hill to the garden (bad knees, ya know....wink.gif), or hauling various stuff from the store that I buy for the garden.....

And it even gets to go fishing now and again......wink.gif

Just busting your chops Steve.

Is that a bike rack on it?

View PostJust busting your chops Steve.

But of course.....wink.gifsmile.gif

And yes, the bike rack goes on about May 1 and stays on until about October 30......one guess why......wink.gif

Only problem is that it weighs just enough that some times (not always) I open the trunk lid and the lid comes crashing down on my head as I am getting stuff out of the trunk......redface.gif

Nice work, SIM. I got my seeds going way too early and had about 70 vegetables overtaking my house so I planted most of them. Only 2 of the 10 peas survived the first cold night, although I nursed a few tomatoes back to health by using large dunkin donut iced coffe cups as mini-greenhouses.

Luckily, I've got about a twenty onions, 6 carrots, and a few jalapenos still inside. Thank god for the supermarket or we wouldn't be lasting the winter!

View PostO.K., I'll take the tomaters and the squash.

Thanks Buddy. icon14.gifHappyWave.gif

Hey, always willing to share when I have a bumper crop of whatever.......unfortunately, I ain't making that road trip to ya, so you'll just have to take the knowledge (what little I have) instead.......smile.gif

View PostBut of course.....wink.gifsmile.gif

And yes, the bike rack goes on about May 1 and stays on until about October 30......one guess why......wink.gif

Only problem is that it weighs just enough that some times (not always) I open the trunk lid and the lid comes crashing down on my head as I am getting stuff out of the trunk......redface.gif

I'd say it's for the SIM Canal cruiser but I didn't think you rode one headscratch.gif

View PostNice work, SIM. I got my seeds going way too early and had about 70 vegetables overtaking my house so I planted most of them. Only 2 of the 10 peas survived the first cold night, although I nursed a few tomatoes back to health by using large dunkin donut iced coffe cups as mini-greenhouses.

Luckily, I've got about a twenty onions, 6 carrots, and a few jalapenos still inside. Thank god for the supermarket or we wouldn't be lasting the winter!

Hope you don't mind if I point out your mistakes.........

First off, peas and carrots should be planted directly in the ground outside. Peas, in our area, about March 15 if the snow is gone and the ground not too soggy.....or whenever after that is the case. Some folks plant peas inside or buy seedlings, but never been a fan of that, as first, they don't take well to transplanting, and second, you need a TON of plants to get any decent harvest, and would take up way too much room indoors. I have well over 100 plants in that row, about 50 of snow peas and 50 of snap peas.

Carrots, sow the seed outdoors about the first or second week of April.

Onions, be they sets or seedlings, can go in the ground outside the 2nd or 3rd week of April.

Tomatoes get sowed indoors about the 3rd week of April, peppers, the second week of April, and don't get planted outside until after May 15th, or whenever the temps mostly stay above 50 at night.

View PostI'd say it's for the SIM Canal cruiser but I didn't think you rode one headscratch.gif

Yep, that's what it's for..........actually, the cruiser needs a bit of work right now.

Generally, I don't "cruise" far, maybe a mile at most, but with my knees, I use it even if I am only going a few poles down............have in the past done half the canal and back, but it's been awhile since I did that, since I can usually find fish pretty close to where I park.....wink.gif