Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ErnieA

Vice for VMC 5/0 Siwash

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hello Fly Fishermen

I figured this was the best place to get advice on a new vice for bigger hooks such as VMC 4/0 to 6/0 siwash hooks. Yesterday I busted my cheap Dicks starter kit vice that lasted a season and a half. I guess it wasnt meant to hold bigger hooksbiggrin.gif . Anyway not looking to break the bank because the only thing I use it for is dressing hooks and maybe the occassional teaser. Whats reasonable out there? Thanks

Ernie

Yeah thats just it. I would love to get the Renzetti SW Traveler but its too expensive (I think $200 something) for just dressing hooks. I would like to keep it $100 or less

I try & tell anyone who is buying a vise to get the best that you can afford.

The vise is the most important tool any tyer will use.

You have seen that those cheap vise's are exactly what they are. CHEAP

The problem is you want a vise to hold a large hook size & not many in your budget will hold that size hook.

The nice thing about a quality Vise you can always sell it for just about what you paid for it if you decide it's not for you.

I would recommend you get a full rotary model being so much easier to tie with. There are a few in the $150.00 range that would last you a life time.

I understand you only want to tie Teasers & Dressed Siwash hook. But you get what you pay for.

You might want to post a post on the BST looking for a Saltwater Vise. I have seen some really good deals from time to time.

I also know a couple of guy's here have shops & are more formula with different brands & maybe they will chime in.

Do your homework ( Google search, E-bay ETC ) & if you have any questions please feel free to ask..............Ron

Thank you for your advice Ron. I have been trying to do my homework but a lot of the stuff ive been coming across online does not tell you what hook size it can hold up to. I was going to post on the BST after asking what you guys thought first. I may just go back to the old C-Clamp vice grip combo Ive been using for the last 5 years biggrin.gif

This vise is a Renzetti knock-off. I have been tying on it now for 3 years just about daily without a problem. I have had as big as a 6/0 VMC Siwash and bucktail jigs in it as big as 2 oz. No problems at all. Its not fancy and kind of crude as far as rotating but for the money, you cant beat it. They can be found for about $50-$60

View PostYou might be able to use a bench vise or a vise grip for those hooks. I tested it once, and it held almost as good as a renzetti traveler.

This is what I would do. Doesn't take much of an implement to immobilize a 5/0 teaser. Spend your money on co plug making stuff.

View PostYou might be able to use a bench vise or a vise grip for those hooks. I tested it once, and it held almost as good as a renzetti traveler.

Ive been using a vise grip last five years and it most certainly worked wink.gif

Brian

I may seriously consider this as long as it can hold a 5/0 siwash. Thanks for your help everyone.

This vise is a Renzetti knock-off. I have been tying on it now for 3 years just about daily without a problem. I have had as big as a 6/0 VMC Siwash and bucktail jigs in it as big as 2 oz. No problems at all. Its not fancy and kind of crude as far as rotating but for the money, you cant beat it. They can be found for about $50-$60