Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerseyhunter

small boat bottom painting

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

A friend just got an 18'er, It's never had bottom paint on as it was always trailored. Well the marina wants $11.00 a ft to prime and another 11 ft to paint. What would we have to do to do it ourselves. Ie , sand/powerwash, type or brand of primer and bottom paint and a place to purchase around say Ocean Grove - Toms River. Thanks men.

Do those prices include primer and paint or just labor if they are talking primer and paint included and doing the job at those Prices, "Go For It". not Sure on cost of Primer how ever good Bottom paint runs 100.00 a gallon and Up.Less than $500.oo let them do it .

I worked at a boatyard for 4 years while in school, and we tried many different ways of painting bottoms. Although its time consuming and pretty much sucks, the best way is going to involve sanding. This is how I would recommend doing it.

1. Wipe down entire bottom with bottom paint manufactures recommended solvent

2. Sand bottom with 180 grit with DA

3. Wipe down again with solvent

4. Prime with self etching primer

5. Bottom paint. (I like doing two or three light coats, more work but looks better)

The reason I would sand, is that even with the self etching primer, it may not bite into the gel coat and you will end up with big bare spots where the paint and primer have just warn right off.

With that said, its not a difficult job, just time consuming and messy, if the boats on a trailer do yourself a favor and take it off onto blocks. Its definately worth it.