Indiana congressman Mark Souder (R) to resign after affair

Rate this topic

mcurtiss

second time I've beat Jonesy to the punch.

ndiana congressman Mark Souder ® will resign his seat after an affair with a staffer came to light, he said in a statement this morning. "It is with great regret I announce that I am resigning from the U.S. House of Representatives as well as resigning as the Republican nominee for Congress in this fall's election," said Souder.

"I sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part time member of my staff," added Souder. "I am so shamed to have hurt those I love."

The news was first reported by Fox News Channel.

The revelations regarding Souder come two weeks after he survived a serious primary challenge from car dealer Bob Thomas who spent considerable sums of his own money on the race. Souder won the primary with less than 50 percent of the vote.

How Souder will be replaced on the ballot remains to be seen. State law allows Gov. Mitch Daniels ® wide leeway in whether or not to call a special election and in the immediate aftermath of the resignation Republicans said it was unlikely there would be any vote before November.

Within 30 days of the Souder vacancy -- and he has said he will resign officially on Friday -- the precinct chairmen and women of the counties in his district must gather to select a replacement. One named being bandied about is state Sen. Marlin Stutzman who ran unsuccessfully for Senate earlier this month.

Souder joins a succession of Members of Congress embroiled in sex scandals in recent years, including Rep. Eric Massa (D-N.Y.), Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) and Sen. David Vitter (R-La.). Massa resigned, while Ensign and Vitter are still serving in the Senate.

Souder was elected in the GOP wave election of 1994. He represents the Fort Wayne area in northeast Indiana.

Democrats this month nominated Tom Hayhurst. Hayhurst, a repeat candidate, held Souder to 54 percent of the vote in their 2006 matchup.

"I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin'. I'm not talkin' 'bout day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout shahkin'!"

want to know this guy's pet project?

wait for it..........

abstinence education yahoo.gif

"I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin'. I'm not talkin' 'bout day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout shahkin'!"

View PostAt least he takes personal responsibilty for his bad behavour.

^^^^^^^^

Conservative theory....

Eric Massa (D-N.Y.), Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) and Sen. David Vitter (R-La.). Massa resigned, while Ensign and Vitter are still serving in the Senate.

^^^^^^

conservative reality.

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DJwjkU8cI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DJwjkU8cI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"> <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DJwjkU8cI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DJwjkU8cI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

As chairman of the Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy and Human Resources when Republicans held the majority in Congress, Souder was a warrior for abstinence-only sex education and a critic of other forms of sex education, and he repeatedly intervened to make sure abstinence advocates were represented -- even to the exclusion of other experts -- on panels about sexual health. This is an embarrassing moment for the cause Souder spent 16 years advocating

View PostThe list of democrats who cheated on their wives (and boyfriends) is just as long or longer than the list of Republicans.

It's a universal downfall.

It seems the liberals have selective amnesia.

in case you can't detect nuance, this thread is not about cheating on one's wife.