Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slick706

Van Staal drag issues, question

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I bought a used VS150B a while ago, this is an older VS SN# 1400s. I noticed the drag was not as strong as it should be, i turned the drag knob and there was not much of a difference in lbs of drag per turn. Then i got up locked position and a 1/4 turn up to lock position it didnt change much of the lbs of drag. Needless to say i can turn the spool very easily when its in locked drag position. Locked drag on any VS reel should take a significant amount of strength to move that spool!!!

Well i swapped out the drags to HT-100 washers and still no change. Now im thinking that maybe its the drag knob? the spring thats under the cap is probably not as strong as it should be and is not applying any pressure on the spool as i turn the knob? Its an older reel so maybe that spring under the knob isnt up to its fuill strength. I experimented and put a small thick felt washer under the knob, it fit snug around the shaft and c-clip and was hidden under the drag knob. Now the drag seems to work like it should, when turning the knob you can notice the lbs of drag increase and at lock position it is very hard to turn the spool. Anyone have issues with there drag knobs like this that caused the same issue? i may just bring it to a tackle shop and ask to use a new drag knob to see if that will work, then buy one online.

View PostMakes sense that the spring is worn out or defective, might be good practice to leave drag loose when put away on these.cwm40.gif

might be! i had this reel for a while and the previous owner may have had the drag tight and worn out that spring in the drag knob. I mean what else can it be, i changed out the washers to HT-100s. And when i add that extra felt washer under the knob you can feel the drag increase in lbs when turning the knob and checking by turning the spool. That washer adds leverage for the knob to push down harder on the spool hence it adds more drag pressure. It def has to be the knob, im takin it to the tackle shop now just to use one of their knobs to see if thats it. I have the reel up for sale/trade on BST and wouldnt want to upset anyone