Travel advice : southern NJ to Fairfield, CT

Rate this topic

doyle007

Guys, I have to be in Fairfield, CT tomorrow afternoon for an appointment, and will be leaving from Atlantic City area. I'm thinking that I should bypass the GWB, and take the Tappan Zee.

If I take the Tappan Zee, I will be on I-287. Should I continue on this to the Merrit Parkway out to Fairfield, or should I take 287 to 95, and then head out that way?

My appointment is at 2pm, and I'll be heading back around 3:30 pm. I figure getting there won't be too terrible, but heading back will probably put me in some traffic. I'm thinking that Tappan Zee on the way back to the Garden State Parkway is a much better option than 95 to Cross Bronx to NJ Tpke, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

View PostGuys, I have to be in Fairfield, CT tomorrow afternoon for an appointment, and will be leaving from Atlantic City area. I'm thinking that I should bypass the GWB, and take the Tappan Zee.

If I take the Tappan Zee, I will be on I-287. Should I continue on this to the Merrit Parkway out to Fairfield, or should I take 287 to 95, and then head out that way?

My appointment is at 2pm, and I'll be heading back around 3:30 pm. I figure getting there won't be too terrible, but heading back will probably put me in some traffic. I'm thinking that Tappan Zee on the way back to the Garden State Parkway is a much better option than 95 to Cross Bronx to NJ Tpke, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

You should always bypass the GWB. You can hit a solid end -to-end crawl on the Cross Bronx at 3 in the effing morning shakehead.gif

It's right up there with the Santa Monica Freeway for the biggest cluster eff in the US of A.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

You should take the GWB but not the cross-bronx. Use the Rt 46 approach to the GWB. Go GWB to the Henry Hudson (9A) to the Saw Mill to the Cross County to the Hutchinson to the Merritt.

Only if you hear that the GWB has more than a 40 minute delay is the Tappan Zee faster to fairfield.

Got good cards, but the wrong man's dealin'.

1010 on the 10's and 880 on the 8's should be your friends. wink.gif

The GWB route saves about 1/2 hour if the bridge, the NJ Turnpike, and the Cross Bronx Expressway are clear. On the way there, it might be. Way back, most likely not.

Tappen Zee and 287 is a toss up, can be fine, or can be sucky....again, mostly on the way back. Be aware that they are doing a lot of construction on 287 on the Westchester County side of the Tappen Zee Bridge.

As to the Merritt or 95, again, toss up and listen to the radio. The Merritt is hilly and winding, which makes for a bit slower ride. But there is no truck traffic.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Connecticutt is "The Contstruction State"

I don't know how the traffic can be worse than Jersey, but it is.

I always avoid GWB if possible. The Tappan Zee is no picnic, but the view is a lot better.

Banned in Florida

Thankfully Yankee game is a 7:05pm start. If traffic reports are ok I'd skip the the Rt 46 approach to the bridge. Tappan Zee - 287 (cross westchester) has been ok lately, but I wouldn't return that route depending on traffic reports - I'd try the GWB again. Another southbound option to the GWB is 87(major deegan) which you can pick up from the Cross County Parkway.

See you on the big one.

View Post1010 on the 10's and 880 on the 8's should be your friends. wink.gif

+ 1130 on the 5's cwm40.gif

cwm8.gif

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace

View PostAlways take TPZ over the GWB. The TPZ may suck a little on the way back but the GWB always sucks worse.

Bill, you can't say ALWAYS.....there have been times that I flew the whole way from the Ct/NY border to the Jersey side of the GWB (or vice versa), and if it happens to be like that, it DOES save about 30 minutes.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174