Need some tire and Rim advice For my 1999 Dodge ram 1500 series

lockbox

I have Dodge Ram 1500 series i am very unhappy with the 16 rims and the 275RX 16 on the truck they look to small for the truck to small looking in the wheel wells . plus i am looking for a better ride on the beach. how big can i go by (changing the rims and the tires). i do not want low profile tires. saying that how big without touching anything when i turn or hit bumps. also will it change my speedometer reading when driving . can it hurt the tranny or rear end. thank you Bob

Hey Bob heres mine with factory 20's. She rides great but i am in the market to do some mods as well. I would think that you could get at least 17's on there. Why not try and search your year on the big site (eb) and see what comes up. I did that and about 30 different sets came up. You could also try a tire shop, they should be able to tell you right away, maybe even fit some on there to see how they look. Keep us informed, would love to see it with new shoes and rubber...

LIBBA #1347

Eat, Sleep and Fish !!!!!

I practice C&R 99% of the time...

I'm running 265's on my 2001, and it's plenty of tire. The stockers were 245's and they were just too small. If you have 3.55 gears, or lower, the larger tire will cause the truck to strain when starting from a standstill and cause more wear, and a loss of performance.

Stick with what works.

Jim C.
LIBBA - MSA - ASC
' You can tune a piano, but you can't Tuna fish"

• 1 month later...

i am putting on 285 75 R16 on. new Rims Black steel i went cheap. i am on the beach to much to purchase expensive Rims. 16 by 8 inch rims tomorrow a new pair of shoes On.biggrin.gif thank you all again for your input it did help. Bob

well my 8 inch Rims and tires were put on today . Wow! it changed the look of my truck alot . i am very pleased.when the steering wheel is turned all the way there way a slight rub . it was cut and turned around she is fine now. I love the way the truck looks. thank you guys for the in site it did help. in the next few days i will post a photo and a glimpse of the lockbox wink.gif Thanks again Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help again. Here are some photo's of my truck with the new rims and rubber. The last photo is to make sure that my stuff stays in my Lockbox cwm27.gif by the way I am the old guy in the picture.

View PostThanks for all the help again. Here are some photo's of my truck with the new rims and rubber. The last photo is to make sure that my stuff stays in my Lockbox cwm27.gif by the way I am the old guy in the picture.

Sweet looking truck lock!! is it 2wd or 4wd? I have the same truck. If your truck was green they would be the same LOL

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

View PostSweet looking truck lock!! is it 2wd or 4wd? I have the same truck. If your truck was green they would be the same LOL

she is of course a 4 by 4. she got old but so did i. she still runs great. i would keep her if i won lotto. til she dieshighfive.gif I love my Ram.