Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ironfish

New Cord Wrap

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Between work , family and fishing haven,t done much with my latest build , an Allstar 1209 short heaver,but I finally finished this over the weekend. Weird how the flash makes the black cord look white in some of the pics.Probably going with a small eva foregrip and royal blue over black metallic wraps. Oh and try not ot focus on the operating room like order and cleanliness of my bench. lol Ralph

Another nice cord wrap, Ironfish.

It's incredible how tight you get these wraps. I was really surprised with the grip / feel of the cord wrap you brought to the last SI NERBS Gathering.

The "nubs" that you incorpoate in the wrap are unique.

thanks a lot fellas. Ken I try to get it as tight as I can which requires a relatively high threshhold for pain and multiple sittings. but I am thrilled witth the results . And the "nub technique" came from duplicating some cord wraps by stripstrike I found in a search .I think I used a similar pattern but mine comes out a little different, maybe because of the brand of cord. But I like it . a fantastic grip when wet even with slimy hands.

I really like the nubs on this layout, and the color is a nice touch. You're right also about keeping it tight being painful! I had blisters on blisters. Are the two cords the same diameter with the black being tarred, or are they both untarred nylon? Very nice work.

Ken

View PostI really like the nubs on this layout, and the color is a nice touch. You're right also about keeping it tight being painful! I had blisters on blisters. Are the two cords the same diameter with the black being tarred, or are they both untarred nylon? Very nice work.

Ken

Ken you did a great job on the cord on the rod you just made for me. Thank you

Very nice. I'm glad you counted how many nubs show up and used the same number on the same axis at both ends of the grip. Isn't this much better than having someone else making your rods?

I really like the nubs on this layout, and the color is a nice touch. You're right also about keeping it tight being painful! I had blisters on blisters. Are the two cords the same diameter with the black being tarred, or are they both untarred nylon? Very nice work.

thanks. and yes the 2 cords are the same dia. with the blue cord being an untarred braided poly and the black tarred seiners.the first cord wrap I got a bunch of blisters but found that using surgical type gloves helped dramatically.

View PostVery nice. I'm glad you counted how many nubs show up and used the same number on the same axis at both ends of the grip. Isn't this much better than having someone else making your rods?

thanks Billy I am glad you noticed that I even made the exact same no. of wraps between each set of nubs and to the reelseat and butt cap when it goes on. Definitely more satisfying making your own but def. no regrets there everything happens for a reason smile.gif

View Postlooks good.

If I fished bait like eels or pogies, I would only use cord wraps. They are tough and easy to grip.

thanks slappy .after fishing my first cord wrap hard for the last month chunkin bunker I def agree . Superior grip for that type of fishing.

This is very nice and you obviously put a lot of thought into your layout. Just the other day I did my first practice cord wrap of almost the same design on a broom handle using tarred twine. I have a couple of questions for you. Do you have a trick for packing the warp cord when it is weaving over and under your wefts? My first try had a lot of small gaps in the wrap in this area. Also when finishing off I had a very hard time pulling the cord back under the tight wrap and was wondering if there is a trick to this.

Thanks and again great work.

View PostThis is very nice and you obviously put a lot of thought into your layout. Just the other day I did my first practice cord wrap of almost the same design on a broom handle using tarred twine. I have a couple of questions for you. Do you have a trick for packing the warp cord when it is weaving over and under your wefts? My first try had a lot of small gaps in the wrap in this area. Also when finishing off I had a very hard time pulling the cord back under the tight wrap and was wondering if there is a trick to this.

Thanks and again great work.

thanks springer. I work from the reel seat towards the butt.I use a lot of tension on the wrap over the wefts and every couple of wraps I pack the wraps I did back towards the seat with the cord itself. When i bring them out I pull back hard towards the seat which allows the next wrap to really lock that weft out.And when I bury a weft after a couple of wraps I pull hard on the weft towards the butt while wrapping tightly and packing back at the same time.I also switch wrapping hands at each step .Hope this helps.

That is absolutely superb, Ralph. It never ceases to amaze me the things you guys can come up with, all because of a little bit of imagination, and a lot of willingness to experiment. Now, as a testament to your great job and your mad skills, I'm going to pay you the highest compliment one rodbuilder can give to another: I'm going to steal your idea!

Seriously, though, is the blue poly twine the stuff that **** sells? Or did you get it somewhere else? How does it feel unfinished (I'm guessing that you won't be finishing it)?