Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iraevski

Buying Live Clams on the Cape, pls Help

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I will be up on the Cape for a fishing trip within a week or so and I am looking for a place to buy live surfer clams for bait. When i was up there last year, I asked at a couple of bait shops and all they had were frozen clams which are not even half as good as the live ones.

That really surprised me, i do a lot of bait fishing down here in Jersey and every bait shop down here has live clams for sale. It is one of the most popular baits down here.

Can someone recommend a place to get them on the Cape? preferably in the Brewster area but i can drive out or pick em up on the way up from Jersey.

thanks in advance..

Joe's Lobster Mart Cape ... Cod Canal, Sandwich, MA

Fresh clams will only be available in fish markets on CC.

View PostJoe's Lobster Mart Cape ... Cod Canal, Sandwich, MA

Fresh clams will only be available in fish markets on CC.

i am really surprised baitshops dont carry them. dont people use live clam to fish on the cape? maybe i will have to bring the clams from jersey

Bait of choice on the Cape for fishing something on the bottom are fresh sand eels, as that's the number one bait in the water.

Clams, squid, mackeral, ocean herring and sandworms are also options, but the natives go with the sand eels (for the most part)

View PostBait of choice on the Cape for fishing something on the bottom are fresh sand eels, as that's the number one bait in the water.

Clams, squid, mackeral, ocean herring and sandworms are also options, but the natives go with the sand eels (for the most part)

we fished eels the last time i was up on the cape. they are definately a very good bait. the only thing is that you have to live line them, cant just leave them to soak out there. this means you have to have the rod in your hand the whole time otherwise the eel will tangle your line. i wanted to hand fish one rod and soak one with a clam.

as for buying the clams at supermarket, these are not the kinds of clams i am looking for. surfer clams are not edible, they are only used for bait down in jersey. they are really big, fist size clams and they are not cleaned for cooking like the ones at the market.

maybe i will use some other live bait that is not as lively as eels to soak.

And are used in fried clam strips. Also, the foot is eaten raw in some sashimi bars. Doesn't taste like much and it's pretty chewy. It's also used in chowders and fritters.

I've never seen live surf clams (Spisula solidissima) for sale as bait in MA.

By 'live', I'm assuming you mean in-shell.

I was looking for surf clams up here after reading up on bait fishing woith them this winter. In Jersey they swear by them and 90% of the big fish come from fishing this hi low rig with the meat of a surf clam. My suggestion is to dig them your self (lots of work low yield and takes away from your fishing) or buy quahogs from a local fish market.

View Postwe fished eels the last time i was up on the cape. they are definately a very good bait. the only thing is that you have to live line them, cant just leave them to soak out there. this means you have to have the rod in your hand the whole time otherwise the eel will tangle your line. i wanted to hand fish one rod and soak one with a clam.

as for buying the clams at supermarket, these are not the kinds of clams i am looking for. surfer clams are not edible, they are only used for bait down in jersey. they are really big, fist size clams and they are not cleaned for cooking like the ones at the market.

maybe i will use some other live bait that is not as lively as eels to soak.

When in rome use sand eels.

Though you wouldn't really want to sand spike sand eels imo

View PostLive eels = black, alive, do not "soak" on the bottom

Sand eels = dead, small, soak on the bottom.

Two completely different baits.

oh ok. i will definately look into it. i just need a good bait to soak with. i dont really care if they are clams or eels or sandworms as long as it works.

what do you guys reccomend as the best bait to use when using a sand spike and just leaving the rod there while you plug? I have caught a big fish last year on a dead eel.

View PostWhen you come up iraevski, maybe we can get together, drink a bottle of vodka, and catch some fish, eh?

i think that is the plan. i found out that i can get live clams very near my house in jersey and i think i will buy some and bring them up there. who knows, maybe they will be dynamite. we caught that big fish on brined clam that last time