Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Se7en

"Bait Rod" at AI

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I make a week or so trip out to AIVA every year and catch my share of rockfish and drum, no help needed there, but I never keep a smaller rod in the "trough" close-in for bait (spot, whiting, flouder etc) or anything like that.

I'm looking for some advice on what you guys are successful with bait and rig wise. I've heard fishbites a couple of times in the thread, and over the years I have heard my share of other suggestions but just can't remember any of them.

I'm bringing my girlfriend with me this year and a smaller setup for her to play with. I'm thinking a bottom rig of some sort looking for flounder or spot or something similar.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

i keep one rod with kingfish rig with fishbites in the close trough, then a hi lo rig with cut bait in close too. that way you can get bait and i get some flounder on cut bait sometimes too.

I use my 9' jetty stick for a light surf set-up. Kingfish rigs, top/bottom rigs, spot rigs....all about the same, but I do like the rigs with the small floats.....helps to keep the crabs off a little better. Fishbites, small pieces 1/2" by 1/2" of cut bait or squid, peelers, bloodworms, table shrimp, etc all work....but for convenience and overall success I like fishbites. Buy a bag or two and whatever you don't use just leave in your surf bag and it's there the next timie you need it.