Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Bigdeal

Treble hooks......I'm smilin' now.

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Took all the trebels off my Spooks, RM's, and others.....was a little concerned I'd throw'em out of sinc by changing the weight and ballance but I don't think I did......tied up some new VMC's with bucktail and tinsel and attached'em to the tail end.....goin solo with just one on the tail, that's all....I just hate handling a fish and getting stung or have'em darn trebles caught in the net...Maybe my hook-up % has dropped a little but still catchin on those plugs plenty........

Any Comments..................bring'em.

So youre using just a tail hook, no front hook? How is it working out for you? I hate those trebles too. Especially on the boat. Living nightmare...

Fished my RM Peanuts, Hopkins Shorty, Spooks with all the trebles removed except for a #5/0 VMC tail hook I dress myself......I was a catchin' fool out there....mostly blufish and a few bass....all with good hook-ups and good action on the lures........the heck with those trebles.

I will do that also when blues are around thick. I also make some of my own plugs without front hooks so I never have to worry about that.

I think you would only see a drop in your hook up ratio when you are catching smaller fish. A smaller bass will hit the front of the lure trying to swallow it head first but anything of size is just going to inhale the whole lure.

Tim

Would like to hear some comments from some plug builders on here......maybe about design vs weight distributions effects on a plug after loosing those demon hooks.

How 'Bout that...Guys ?

View PostSo youre using just a tail hook, no front hook? How is it working out for you? I hate those trebles too. Especially on the boat. Living nightmare...

I'd like to know too. No front hook or a hook upfront instead of a treble?

View PostI should probably do the same. just ruined a brand new pair of waders by hooking my self. Words cant describe how pissed I was.

Unfortunate, yes. Ruined, no. Just throw a patch on and keep fishing. biggrin.gif

Right...no front hook and they're catchin' fine. The VMC siwash are what I'm using with a little dress up.

Can't tell ya how agravating those trebles were to me with the fish flippin, me gettin stung and the hooks burying themselves in the net.......just a circus.