Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barco

Quabbin vs. Wachusett

12 posts in this topic

Ah, a subject near and dear to my heart......The big Q vrs the big W. Well, if your into boat fishing, the Quabbin is the only option there, as boats are not allowed on Wachusetts. Boating on the Quabbin in your own boat is a bit problematic now, as you have to get it power washed first by appointment and get the special tag. If you put your boat on another body of water afterward, you have to go through the power washing game again. They do rent boats at the fishing gates. Plenty of big water to explore by boat there. Salmon fishing has been great the last few years, right through the summer. The shore fishing is OK, but a lot of long downhill hikes (uphill on the way back to your car) from the access gates.

For shore fishing, Wachusetts has it over the Quabbin I believe. A bit late now, but when they first open in April, lakers and salmon are there for the taking. Now through early fall, smallmouth and largemouth bass are plentyful. You can walk for miles and miles along the shoreline. When the weather turns cold in early fall, the lakers are back in the shallows.

Both bodies of water are a real treasure to have available.

View PostAh, a subject near and dear to my heart......The big Q vrs the big W. Well, if your into boat fishing, the Quabbin is the only option there, as boats are not allowed on Wachusetts. Boating on the Quabbin in your own boat is a bit problematic now, as you have to get it power washed first by appointment and get the special tag. If you put your boat on another body of water afterward, you have to go through the power washing game again. They do rent boats at the fishing gates. Plenty of big water to explore by boat there. Salmon fishing has been great the last few years, right through the summer. The shore fishing is OK, but a lot of long downhill hikes (uphill on the way back to your car) from the access gates.

For shore fishing, Wachusetts has it over the Quabbin I believe. A bit late now, but when they first open in April, lakers and salmon are there for the taking. Now through early fall, smallmouth and largemouth bass are plentyful. You can walk for miles and miles along the shoreline. When the weather turns cold in early fall, the lakers are back in the shallows.

Both bodies of water are a real treasure to have available.

So you're telling me that I need to get my boat powerwashed and go salmon fishing on the Quabbin?

My fiancee is not going to be happy with you.

If you were to judge it by record size fish, the Wachusett has the majority of the state records pulled out of it compared to the Quabbin. Personally, I have never fished the Quabbin, but have spent alot of time at Wachusett. I have lived within 5 minutes of Wachusett my whole life, and never had a successful trip there. There are plenty of other places nearby I would rather fish. If putting your rod in a rod holder along shore and waiting is your type of fishing, than I'd say go for it. Otherwise I would stay away. The Quabbin I have heard good things about, especially if you have a boat. I have caught hundreds of LM and SM bass in my life, only 2 from Wachusett, and I kid you not 1 was 2 inches long on a 6" pumpkinseed power bait worm. I'm not saying there isn't fish in Wachusett, clearly there is by looking at the list of state record fish pulled from there, just not my place of choice within the area. Just my 2 cents. I'm very sure others will disagree. Good luck wherever you do fish here in MA, because there is some excellent places to go.

View PostI always get confused, is it Wachusett Lake or reservoir people are referencing to when they talk about Wachusett?

Wachusett is a man made reservoir. The water from the Quabbin travels through an underground aqueduct to Wachusetts, then on it's way to Boston. It's thought that the lake trout and salmon & smelt made their way through that long tunnel to populate Wachusetts.

Is a great fishery for Bass, Quabbin as good? Maybe, but i'll always say no, only because you have to learn Wachusetts first. Theres much unproductive areas that one shouldn,t waste your time to fish, but you have to keep in mind the seasons, Spring and Fall being my favorite time of the year for Smallmouthbass. Heres a few we,ve caught over the years.Copyof9.jpgBRIANSSALLY1.jpgBRIANCHUUBASS.jpgBRIANS9.jpgEDS2SMALLYS.jpgImg_0665.jpgImg_0715.jpg

Quabbin is a beauteous place to see for the first time, and the fishing can be good too, but i've had days at the Chuu, that i'll never forget!

If your into still fishing (chair an a samwhich), it has some spots like Scarhill-Stone church-Rook to name a few. Took me a few years to learn it, dont let anyone kid ya, it's got fish! Anyone like White Perch?icon14.gif

Sorry for the large postheadscratch.gif

^^^ I've never fished either of those lakes... I'm from PA. But I enjoyed that post! Some very nice fish there. Great smallies! and that one largemouth, especially looks massive.