Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belmo

Topsoil - Philadelphia

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

We're putting in new raised beds, and I need a decent amount of topsoil and either compost or mushroom soil (my recipes for the raised beds say half soil and half compost or mushroom soil). I went to our local independent garden center, and had a very bad experience -- the guy I talked to was a jerk, and made me feel like a moron (not hard to do, but I still don't like it).

Anyone have any recommendations for a good supplier for garden soil and compost and/or mushroom soil in the Philly area? I'll need to have the stuff delivered.

You can try Eddington Supply in Bristol. I can't remember off the top of my head if they sell top soil or not. They sell just about everything else though for landscaping and stuff.

Can't help ya with sources in your area, but if this is for a veggie garden, be sure you know the true source. Don't want to be growing food in any nasty stuff.

View PostCan't help ya with sources in your area, but if this is for a veggie garden, be sure you know the true source. Don't want to be growing food in any nasty stuff.

I was hoping you'd check in. I will ask, but what questions should I pepper them with? Where's it coming from? What have they done with it? How many dead bodies have they allowed to decompose in it before they sell it to me?

View PostI was hoping you'd check in. I will ask, but what questions should I pepper them with? Where's it coming from? What have they done with it? How many dead bodies have they allowed to decompose in it before they sell it to me?

cwm27.gif Yeah, pretty much......

We have a town compost area, and they put out topsoil/compost for town residents for the taking. But I never use it in the veggie garden, cause who knows what the folks around town are putting in there.

Even such seemingly innocuous stuff like grass clipping I don't trust, as some people put a ton of insecticides and herbicides on their lawns.....shakehead.gif

Hard to say what exact questions you should ask, but at the very least, mention that you are using it to grow food, and then, well, ya just have to trust what they say.......

I've had bad experiences with the 40lb bagged "topsoil" lately....

You used to be able to go to a garden center, pick up a few bags and put it in beds, or a pot for a tomato etc. But now all I seem to find and this is all over is a complete block of mud. It is all left out to get soaked by rain, and it isn't made up of what it used to be. I used to be able to dump it out and plant in it right away, Now you have to screen it till it to death because it is lumped up so bad it is almost unusable. It also used to look like dirt. Now it is full of sticks, and rough stuff. I also found a nail in a bag.

Sounds like you need to go tell them what you need, and ask where to get it.

No human fecal matter

No pesticides

Human body parts are OK as long as they lived ORGANICLLY their entire lives.

View PostGet mushroom soil from Kennet Square.

X2 icon14.gif

I got a tri-axle full of mushroom soil for $275 delivered in '08

Do the math, no better deal cwm15.gif

google Hy-Tech Mushroom compost.

View PostX2 icon14.gif

I got a tri-axle full of mushroom soil for $275 delivered in '08

Do the math, no better deal cwm15.gif

google Hy-Tech Mushroom compost.

My gardening guru, Mike McGrath of WHYY's You Bet Your Garden, suggests half soil and half compost for raised beds. He also says that mushroom soil is excellent compost, if you can get it; I got one cubic yard of topsoil, and one cubic yard of Kennett Square's finest mushroom soil. All of this is under $100 delivered. The only thing I gotta check is how many body parts of South Philly mafiosi will be in the soil; my guy says it will be great for growing veggies, but we'll see.