Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HanoverStriper

Speaking of cell phones

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good case for a cell phone? I promise it won't be used to call my friends when I'm into fish. I always like to carry it with me for safety purposes because I usually fish alone. I also use it for the camera.

I have been keeping it in the top pocket inside my waders. After almost busting my a** mulitple times Sunday morning, I realized the ziplock bag I've been keeping it in would not do much if I went in.

Anyone use a waterproof case that is small and tough? Thanks!

Spend twenty bucks and grab a Pelican waterproof case.

It will eliminate alot of the portability (that's not always a bad thing mind you) but it will protect it from damage.

When I didn't have a waterproof/shockproof camera I used to carry my Canon SD1000 in one. I also have one for my iPod Classic as well.

View PostSpend twenty bucks and grab a Pelican waterproof case.

It will eliminate alot of the portability (that's not always a bad thing mind you) but it will protect it from damage.

When I didn't have a waterproof/shockproof camera I used to carry my Canon SD1000 in one. I also have one for my iPod Classic as well.

Sounds good, thanks. I was just on the site and read this:

"Great for rugged sports - Not for swimming or submerging."

Not that I'm planning on swimming, but it may happen. I'm wondering if there are any good waterproof cases, not just water resistant. Thanks for the info.

The difference between waterproof and water resistant is that water resistant puts up a heck of a fight, waterproof just means that it will always win that fight.

For the record, Pelican cases are the same type they use for travel humidors to retain a set humidity inside of the case.

Pelican may not call them waterproof, but you're going to need to do some seriously crazy stuff for quite awhile to get any water in there. Worst case scenario you could always toss the phone in a Ziploc bag and then into the Pelican case. Double protection right there.

REI also carries sealable bags that are waterproof. They're more durable than regular ziploc bags but offer no real protection from falls and bumps.

Ha, I had to make a trip to the Verizon Store Saturday morning myself. I usually keep mine in the inside pocket of the waders, but for some reason put it in the front pocket of my semi-dry top. I took water up to the chest a few times then my belly started to feel real warm...reached into the pocket and the cell phone was hot as he11!!! OOOOPS!

USUALLY when I know I'll be deep wading, or taking waves i use a water proof bag by Kwik Tek (but still keep it inside the waders). Think I got mine from Amazon. I've used it a number of times, but haven't done a true "field test." I did fill it with tissue paper, and held it under water in the tub for about 5 minutes....paper stayed dry if that's worth anything to you. Think it was about 10 bucks...definitely more rugged than a ziplock, and more portable than a pelican case.

View PostHa, I had to make a trip to the Verizon Store Saturday morning myself. I usually keep mine in the inside pocket of the waders, but for some reason put it in the front pocket of my semi-dry top. I took water up to the chest a few times then my belly started to feel real warm...reached into the pocket and the cell phone was hot as he11!!! OOOOPS!

USUALLY when I know I'll be deep wading, or taking waves i use a water proof bag by Kwik Tek (but still keep it inside the waders). Think I got mine from Amazon. I've used it a number of times, but haven't done a true "field test." I did fill it with tissue paper, and held it under water in the tub for about 5 minutes....paper stayed dry if that's worth anything to you. Think it was about 10 bucks...definitely more rugged than a ziplock, and more portable than a pelican case.

Thanks Dennis. I was just about to order the same one. It won't protect the phone if I fall on it, but looks like it will keep it dry. Glad you did the tub test. I'll give this a shot.

View PostThanks Dennis. I was just about to order the same one. It won't protect the phone if I fall on it, but looks like it will keep it dry. Glad you did the tub test. I'll give this a shot.

Definitely not crush resistant, but will give you enough time to recover it if it goes in the drink.

View PostDefinitely not crush resistant, but will give you enough time to recover it if it goes in the drink.

Yeah, I figure I'll just spin around and fall on my back wink.gif

Thanks for your help. Steve

They carry some small waterproof bags at West Marine, I use it on my boat for my cell phone and super small camera. If you were going to submerge it it may be a bit of a problem because it floats I believe.

View PostThey carry some small waterproof bags at West Marine, I use it on my boat for my cell phone and super small camera. If you were going to submerge it it may be a bit of a problem because it floats I believe.

Thanks, I'll check them out. Don't care if they float, as long as it stays dry.

View PostThey carry some small waterproof bags at West Marine, I use it on my boat for my cell phone and super small camera. If you were going to submerge it it may be a bit of a problem because it floats I believe.

I wouldn't exactly call that a BAD thing on all counts!

I could have used that feature once or twice....