Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
liseverewx

Fishing smithspoint?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hey guys...I'm new to surf fishing and am looking for a few spots to fish. I'm not looking for anyone to give up their good spots, just looking for a few general areas to start with. I will be heading out to montauk sometime in the next week or two. However, I'm looking for some areas closer to home to fish more often. I live in suffolk around exit 61 on the LIE. How is Smithspoint beach? I only have a car so no driving on the beach for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

I live in the same area. You can park in the lot at Smith Point and walk to the beach if you want, but I think that may only be during the day. The south shore has lots of spots. Your best bet is to explore, scout and explore some more.. Google earth helps out too.!!

Good Luck and welcome to the site. highfive.gif

View PostI live in the same area. You can park in the lot at Smith Point and walk to the beach if you want, but I think that may only be during the day. The south shore has lots of spots. Your best bet is to explore, scout and explore some more.. Google earth helps out too.!!

Good Luck and welcome to the site. highfive.gif

Thanks for the info...I guess the beginning of my surf casting adventures will be finding spots more than catching fish. Hopefully I have some luck and catch something along the way.

View Postthanks for making me feel welcomeconfused.gif

you are welcome here..its just giving out spots on the web or this site is frowned upon..the weather is nice..go do some walking. Find a pievce of water that looks fishy and fish it..we all had to start somewhere. there are no shortcuts

Go there and fish. Tins are good there. live bait as well. Dont pay any attention to the clowns here. I was TAUGHT just like any other fisherman was on this site and others. So I have no problems letting people know a little info on a spot. Theres thousands of people there all the time its never going to change and never going to be a SECRET.

Good luck and tight lines

Thanks for the helpcool.gif Like I said in my original post I didn't want anyones special spot...just wanted to know if smithspoint had some good fishing in general. I will hunt around for my own spots and im sure will eventually have some luck.

Can you guys at least tell me if there are any fishing restrictions on smithspoint beach. Do I have to be a certain distance from beach goers (I dont have a 4x4 vehicle so I will have to park and walk)? Can I just find a spot away from people and fish?

Thanks again!

View PostHe doesn't want you there because 1 more person is going to overcrowd the area.cwm27.gif

Unfortunately, untrue.. Fish don't show up there until around December 16th or so.. and with internet, its not 1 more person.. its known as mass advertising.. overexposure, saturation, destructive overfishing, etc. etc. I don't want eveyone and their brother's friends's wive's sister's father in law reading posts and figuring "hey maw.. ders dem fishes over at smith point.. !!" and before you know it.. you cant get near your fav spot nu moore.. cwm40.gif itsa called ssppoott bbuurrnniinngg

BTW Welcome liveseverwx. you can get a night fishing permit and park in the handicapped lot or over the bridge at night.. daytime you can park anywhere in the main lot.. closes at ten pm or so.

I heard the eastern towns were (sucessfully) disputing the SW fishing lic., was that upheld and does that include Crookhaven? In other words, does anyone know if they are checking lic's @ Smittys?