Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garlic

Rod Length

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi All, I have heard that for a rod to be the correct size for its owner you must be able to put the butt of the rod in your armpit and reach the reel with your hand. I have purchased a 13 ft rod and when I place the butt in my armpit I am short of the reel by about 1-1/2 lengths of my hand. I use this rod for the surf and the reason for it purchase was greater distance. Is this "rule of thumb" correct? If so should I have my butt cut?

Thanks

Being a 13 footer, i'm guessing your chunking/chucking bait with it? If so, i really don't think it will matter either way, if you were going to be pluggin with it for hours a day then by all means tune it for your desired settings.

If on a slow bait day you go to get some distance and you smack your body with those extra six inches then you will know your answer. For my custom spin surf casting rods the "rule" I have always used is "The length of the butt section should be shoulder width in length". I believe the idea with a bait rod is, longer handle = more to put in the sand spike.

If it was mine I would be cutting it back, for comfort.

Peace

Generalities suck. Avoid them.

If the length is comfortable for you to cast and hold then its the right length, period.

Most long rods are like yours. If you are throwing bait leave it alone. Your shorter plugging rods should pass under your extended casting arm.