It's Time To End The Supreme Court Nominee Kabuki Dance

Rate this topic

lichum

Peggy Noonan is correct.

From Meet the Press May 16, 2010:

"MS. NOONAN : Mm-hmm. Look, I think that since the Bork hearings it has been very hard for young lawyers who want to go forward in the judiciary to realize anything but this. If you are colorful, if you are interesting, if you are forthcoming and share your thoughts and philosophy and views on the way up, when you get to your confirmation hearing for the court, they will put a noose around your head, hanging you with every interesting thing you've ever said.

I, I happen to think the Senate Judiciary Committee has not done a good job of vetting and bringing out the thoughts of, of Supreme Court nominees for a long time. I think they should change. Let those nominees be forthcoming, let them speak. And I think this whole sense we've got that you can't say anything interesting on the way up ought to just go away.

Oliver Wendell Holmes today would not be allowed on the U.S. Supreme Court because he said such fabulous, interesting things.

MR. SHRUM : He wouldn't have, he wouldn't have to have a confirmation hearing, Peggy, because they didn't have them in those days.

MS. NOONAN : Well, fair enough. Fair enough. But we do have them now, and they ought to summon thought, and they ought to respect individuality and taking a different view, and creativity, frankly."

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?

everyone who opposes Kagan is completely wrong.

We need to just give her a chance.

Let her be confirmed and take her seat at the Supreme Court and give her a chance. And if she doesn't turn out to be someone who cares about the Constitution.........................

oh wait.

she gets to stay there.

redface.gif

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

the left is made up of a bunch of wusses who would rather fight with themselves than fight for a SC candidate they want. the right at least gets their people on board with little fight (Alito, Roberts)

"I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin'. I'm not talkin' 'bout day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout shahkin'!"

Let her be confirmed and take her seat at the Supreme Court and give her a chance.

It's like healthcare... you have to pass it to find out what's in it.

Jeff B.

"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
Plutarch