Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishinCrazy

706Z spool rub:

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I've got a 706Z I bought and just recently got to use.It has the brass colored spool.While fishing with this reel I noticed an aweful scrapping sound,then I got a little splash from a wave and wam the scrapping sound increased and the reel even froze up!I had to really crank it to get it to reel in.I tried to fish some more but that was not to be.I'm wondering how I should go about fixing this???There are scrap marks inside the Rotor cup and on the spool I assume this is where they come together.I was thinkin I could sand or file it down in that spot but wouldn't that make it out of round?Any suggestions would be helpful.I paid alot of money for this reel and had to already replace the housing,ar dog,drag washers,I'm thinkin I got screwed.

Here's the spool:

spool706.jpg

Here's the Rotor cup:

rotorcup706.jpg

What do you think???

FCheadscratch.gif

My guess is the reel has been dropped on that side where the rubbing is occuring making a flat spot of sorts.

You can try different methods to get the housing back into round. Gentle persuasion is probably the best method??? hammer-time.gif

This is what makes these reels so freaking great.. LOL You can sand the rotor housing a bit where it rubs see if that takes care of it. The other noise is sand getting in between the spool and housing it's a PIA at times. I used to use a 704 spool on my 706 just for this reason. Now I just use the 704's and retired the 706!

View PostMy guess is the reel has been dropped on that side where the rubbing is occuring making a flat spot of sorts.

You can try different methods to get the housing back into round. Gentle persuasion is probably the best method??? hammer-time.gif

I think you might be right this is what the outside of the reel looks like where it rubs.

796ZRotor.jpg

FC

If you have a Dremel tool, just grind the inside of the spool housing so it doesn't rub. Even with a new 704 or 706 reel when you get sand in it, it will do as you describe. That is why a lot of people drill holes in the bottom of the spool housing to allow the sand to wash out.

I've fixed problem like that in the past with those reels, by taking off the cup and gently tapping it out just enough to stop the rubbing. I used a light ball peen hammer. Ya have to be very, very gentle though. smile.gif

how in the world did you not notice that when you purchased??? there used to be a how to, to fix that problem..included a bat i think.. i think don was the author. he will chime in later i'm sure. good luck..

View PostI've fixed problem like that in the past with those reels, by taking off the cup and gently tapping it out just enough to stop the rubbing. I used a light ball peen hammer. Ya have to be very, very gentle though. smile.gif

Did I mention my nickname is Baby Huey??I think I can do that.

Thanks Jimmy Hope your doin well!!!

FC

View Posthow in the world did you not notice that when you purchased??? there used to be a how to, to fix that problem..included a bat i think.. i think don was the author. he will chime in later i'm sure. good luck..

I noticed a little scrapping sound when I first got it,but haven't really been even looking at fishing stuff for a while,I got hurt my back and wasn't doing anything till my back felt better.

Had no idea it would do what it did last night.The base ball bat thing sounds cool,I know I fived a dent in a saxophone once with a bat that'd probablly work well.

FC

View PostIf you have a Dremel tool, just grind the inside of the spool housing so it doesn't rub. Even with a new 704 or 706 reel when you get sand in it, it will do as you describe. That is why a lot of people drill holes in the bottom of the spool housing to allow the sand to wash out.

Not being a machinist I'm not drilling anything,but I do know a couple of good operators including my good friend Steve from AOK.I already talked to him about doing some drilling on this reel.I think that'll help alot.

Thanks!!

FC

View PostNot being a machinist I'm not drilling anything,but I do know a couple of good operators including my good friend Steve from AOK.I already talked to him about doing some drilling on this reel.I think that'll help alot.

Thanks!!

FC

Hey FC; I already gave you a housing for that reel, I'M NOT GIVEING you a rotor-cup LOL) "Martin beatin.gifbeatin.gif ", That's a minor rubb, If your machinist buddy has a

cylinder bore, (it's like three sanding blocks mounted on spring arms used to clean piston bores on a engine block) let him run that in it for a minute and that will solve your problem but you will need to prime and paint after that inside the cup. You could just use a sponge type sanding block also on that area, don't worry about wopple, your not taking off that much metal to notice any wobble, I do use a peace of cut off bat that just fits in the top of them rotors and one or two EZ wacks with a hammer on the end of the bat does get them back in round but yours looks minor and your better off just doing as above.

BTW; clean up the top of that spool shaft, it looks like it needs it.

View PostDid I mention my nickname is Baby Huey??I think I can do that.

Thanks Jimmy Hope your doin well!!!

FC

lol, haven't heard that name in a long time.

I'm doing ok. I just put it all in the Lord's hands. smile.gif

View PostHey FC; I already gave you a housing for that reel, I'M NOT GIVEING you a rotor-cup LOL) "Martin beatin.gifbeatin.gif ", That's a minor rubb, If your machinist buddy has a

cylinder bore, (it's like three sanding blocks mounted on spring arms used to clean piston bores on a engine block) let him run that in it for a minute and that will solve your problem but you will need to prime and paint after that inside the cup. You could just use a sponge type sanding block also on that area, don't worry about wopple, your not taking off that much metal to notice any wobble, I do use a peace of cut off bat that just fits in the top of them rotors and one or two EZ wacks with a hammer on the end of the bat does get them back in round but yours looks minor and your better off just doing as above.

BTW; clean up the top of that spool shaft, it looks like it needs it.

There's a mechanic at my shop I think I've seen that certain tool there(Cylinder bore)I'll have to ask him to use it.I will clean the spool shaft also Thanks Lion YOU THE MAN!!!!!!!icon14.gif

FC