Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stresst

A few questions.......

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I was wondering whats the lightest lb braid you fish when fishing for fluke and whats the lightest for seabass? Im trying to fish lighter then ever but how low can you safely fish? Im curious to hear what you guys are using say for water less then 100' (forget offshore seabass for a minute).

Next us what is fused braid? What is its main use? Can it be used as regular braid?redface.gif

MY jetty FLuke set up has 6# Pink Fireline tied to 14# Mono. My main BT Fluke rod has 10# Power Pro since about 2001, I use 20-25# Mono with that, sucks for dropper loops though. My Ocean FLuke rods have 15 or 20# Fireline, I tie 40# mono on this.

Believe fused braid is where there are indiviudal strands of braid and they are weaved, then fused together to create one super-strand.

Sufix Performance Fuse is the next generation of thermally fused fishing line. The unique bonding technology and higher weave count create a rounder braided line with enhanced smoothness and superior casting. Unmatched ultra fine diameter gives the serious angler near zero stretch for instant hook setting power and confidence.

I'm pretty sure original Fireline is like that as well. Sufix seems to call it new but I feel it's to seperate their new "stretchy" braid that is a weave with dynema and dacron.

Basically it's just saying the line you are using is made up of individual strands that are "fused" into one strand.

For light bucktailing I use 8-10# Fireline(original). Deeper waters, drifting bait, seabass get 20# Fireline. While Fireline seems a bit thick compared to other braids, you'd need to put the FL 20# test up against 30-40# test of other brands for actual strength ratings to be close and then that levels out the thickness.

65lb with 40 or 50lb leader

lots of snags here. typically lose the mono leader, at the swivel and just re-tie.

usually fishing 40-80ft of water with 4-10oz of lead though

View Post65lb with 40 or 50lb leader

lots of snags here. typically lose the mono leader, at the swivel and just re-tie.

usually fishing 40-80ft of water with 4-10oz of lead though

65lb with 40 or 50lb leader???

I said for fluke and seabass, 65lb w/ 50lb leader is great for BFTcwm13.gif

View Post

I said for fluke and seabass, 65lb w/ 50lb leader is great for BFTcwm13.gif

When you start hanging gear on lobster trawls and such, you want the heavier gear... a lot of hook-ups are near structure; a bit of abrasion resistance is a good thing!

View PostWhen you start hanging gear on lobster trawls and such, you want the heavier gear... a lot of hook-ups are near structure; a bit of abrasion resistance is a good thing!

when I get hooked on lobster gear I like to able to break it off without a hernia cwm31.gif

View Postyeah guys I tend to use 15-30# line for Fluke.

Braid or mono? Personally I like lighter line for fluke. 30 lb braid tops and 12 lb mono. I have my brother/dad rigged up with 15 or 20 lb mono for fluke though.

View Postwhen I get hooked on lobster gear I like to able to break it off without a hernia cwm31.gif

I agree. With 65 lb braid you can probably winch the lobster gear to the boat, but to each his own I guess. If 65 lb braid works for you, use it.

View PostBelieve fused braid is where there are indiviudal strands of braid and they are weaved, then fused together to create one super-strand.

Sufix Performance Fuse is the next generation of thermally fused fishing line. The unique bonding technology and higher weave count create a rounder braided line with enhanced smoothness and superior casting. Unmatched ultra fine diameter gives the serious angler near zero stretch for instant hook setting power and confidence.

I'm pretty sure original Fireline is like that as well. Sufix seems to call it new but I feel it's to seperate their new "stretchy" braid that is a weave with dynema and dacron.

Basically it's just saying the line you are using is made up of individual strands that are "fused" into one strand.

For light bucktailing I use 8-10# Fireline(original). Deeper waters, drifting bait, seabass get 20# Fireline. While Fireline seems a bit thick compared to other braids, you'd need to put the FL 20# test up against 30-40# test of other brands for actual strength ratings to be close and then that levels out the thickness.

icon14.gif

View PostBraid or mono? Personally I like lighter line for fluke. 30 lb braid tops and 12 lb mono. I have my brother/dad rigged up with 15 or 20 lb mono for fluke though.

I agree. With 65 lb braid you can probably winch the lobster gear to the boat, but to each his own I guess. If 65 lb braid works for you, use it.

Fishing around structure, and with the prevalence of nuisance species (dogs, blues etc) a 40lb or higher leader is appropriate IMHO. Especially if a 10lb door decides he wants your offering.

As far as a hernia... I lock my drag, point the rod at it; and the mono leader pops, 90% of the time at the hook. back to fishing in seconds, rather than having to redo a whole rig