Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snookman267

Redtop

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

mad.gif Today I fished the canal and while bringing in a fish I snapped my newest rod a Daiwa interline rod which I purchased at Redtop less than a month before on sale. The rod broke with the rifeling inside the rod in a spiral pattern obviously not slammed in a door or run into a ceiling fan. So I brought the rod back after breakfast to be sent out for a replacement. I waited and was helped by a man with a ton of pins on his hat many of you probably know him. I told him what happened he said no problem itll be warranted. OK Cool. I asked him if it would be in any way possible to get the 11ft model in the same rod. They are the same retail price so I thought id ask. hes says yea no problem.. OK cool.. I asked how much everything would be because i intended to pay for everything then. He tells me a number. I asked how could that be? he told me that they would be issuing me a credit for my original purchase and I could put it toward the 11ft model. I said no thanks I will just keep the 10ft model. He says it will still be "x" amount of dollars. This is were it gets interesting. Because i bought the rod on sale there is no way that i can get a rod again for that price. Blows my mind how this can be. I said to him why should i have to pay the difference and it was a significant amount of money. I stated that and im pretty sure that it is a direct swap broken rod for new rod aka "Unconditional warantee". And I got fed a line of BULLS*** from this guy along the lines of if you by a new car on sale but under warantee and it brakes do u think that they will give you a new after it has deprecitated? I responded yes if its beyond repair. Aparently I'm wrong. so needless to say I emailed my Daiwa rep from back home because I work at a very large store in Florida that deals alot with high end Daiwa products. I will be receiving a new rod for only the shipping and handling costs.

Correct me if Im wrong but this is poor customer service. I was pissed. So I will never spend another dollar in their. Just thought you guys could use this info if you bought a rod on sale at redtop and break it you wont get a new replacement rod you will be issued a credit. headscratch.gif Complete horse ----. Never have I heard of this. The guy was trying to make money on a warranted product. Im not an idiot so i kept my rod and just took care of it myself. mad.gif

Yeah......I have a great story about them when I 1st started Striper fishing and had no idea what I was doing. They sold me a LOT of crap before I smartened up. Now.....they are my last resort tbh. Few guys in there are cool though. A FEW.

probably a new policy, i think there are some guidelines behing the counter, i know about returned items, but not sure about that.

Its not a new policy, unless scamming is a policy. Daiwa had no problem warranting the rod and no problem in me getting the 11ft model for the shipping and handling fee.

I hate to tell you this, but warranties are honored by the manufacturer, not the retailer. Unless the retailer is an agent of the manufacturer. Some retailers that deal in a large volume of a product will replace a broken item because they know the manufacturer will make good on it regardless of whether it broke due to a defect, or from misuse. Shops that sell hundreds of one manufacturer's items can do this, because the manufacturer takes care of retailers that sell their products in volume--they want to keep their business so they eat a lot of product that they would normaly reject coverage for. If a shop sells only a few items of a particular product line, the manufacturer won't make good on replacement items for them if the product was broken due to abuse.

Would you expect any shop to give you another $1100 Dogfight reel, or an $800 Van Staal, on a straight swap if you had a problem, or do you think they'd tell you to send it to the manufacturer for warraty issues?

Are you saying they tried to charge you the difference between the sale price and the current price on the identical swap?

Inside of 30 days that's kind of a touchy policy.

When I broke a Loomis I bought from them long after they stopped carrying them still helped me get it warranteed....and that was recently.

View PostI hate to tell you this, but warranties are honored by the manufacturer, not the retailer. Unless the retailer is an agent of the manufacturer.

Yes DJ i know this is the case but since I live in a dorm room 1300 miles from my house I didnt think it would be a problem for them to send in the rod for me and simply charge me the shipping and handling fees. Seeing as how i dont have a box to ship a rod and I cant leave campus during the week to run errands. Its not the fact of who honors the warranties because i know that Daiwa does this not the retailer. But this guy was telling me that since I bought this rod on sale that there was no way for me to get a replacement unless I paid the difference between the sale price and the retail price.

Reguardless of manufacturer or retailer, that shop carries Daiwa products and therefore holds responsibilities for claims on "warranty" rods. If the "x" amount of dollars is anything above shipping and handling, they are trying to scam you. No money goes to the dealer or the manufacturer, it is a rod swap to keep the customer satisfied. Sale price of the rod has zero effect if the rod is under warranty.

I was there with snookman and that guys a joke.. I dont know what hes thinking cause last i checked retailers honor warranties for rods they sell especially ones within a month.. RT doesnt have to spend a dime sending it back to daiwa its all covered with him being a dealer.. All it is , is a simple swap out and you have a new rod for the one you broke UNDER warranty + the shipping cost.. no big deal.. Just trying to make money twice on what was once a (loyal) customer is wrong.. but i believe he lost that icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif Don't get me wrong there are a couple of fine guys that work in there that i respect alot and are great people but mr. pins on hat guy has never been a fan fave for me... Id like to see him on the the canal and see how well he catches fish cause he sure talks a big game, but i believe even with my 4 months of experience fishing the canal (from Florida) that I'd show him that not all 20 yr old kids are googins.... which seems to be the common misconception of a lot of people.. not naming any names or singling anyone out but jus sayin

View PostYes DJ i know this is the case but since I live in a dorm room 1300 miles from my house I didnt think it would be a problem for them to send in the rod for me and simply charge me the shipping and handling fees. Seeing as how i dont have a box to ship a rod and I cant leave campus during the week to run errands. Its not the fact of who honors the warranties because i know that Daiwa does this not the retailer. But this guy was telling me that since I bought this rod on sale that there was no way for me to get a replacement unless I paid the difference between the sale price and the retail price.

My bet is it was a mistake. No doubt it has something to do with how they account for the rods. I can understand outside of 30 days as they're doing it as a courtesy to you. Inside of 30, probable manufacturers defect....

I'd have just checked with the owners and I'm betting you'd have gotten a different answer versus posting here. Unfortunate situation all around.

there were three other workers at the counter in the store while i was talkin to this man. and afterwards he was almost making fun of me to the other customers in the store as i was leaving.

View Post I cant leave campus during the week to run errands.

AHHH the fun of a being a freshman at MMA,, Its been some years now but I remember it vividly.

Sorry had to throw it out there