Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Halibooty

Black cod aka Sablefish

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Black Cod run relatively deep, usually in water exceeding 65 fathoms. Fisherman from days gone by considered them trash fish when going for widows, bacaccio, canaries and other rock fish. In later years they are caught in traps and daily limits were set. They along with all the shelf rock fish have been badly mismanaged and thus horribly over fished here in the Monterey Bay, though they are in better shape up Alaska way. They are right on the bottom generally and take special deep water tackle to raise them. I big one will go about 15o 20 lbs. average is more like 3 or 8 lbs. They are among the longest of livers at 80 years plus.

Tight Lines, Rich

One of the best tasting fish. A very light teriyaki or misoyaki sauce make very good eating. Had it 2 or 3 times last week in Hawaii where its readily available fresh and frozen. The best lau lau is made with butterfish...hhhmmmmm good.

The reason I ask is, my mother's misoyaki gindara (sablefish) is my favorite dish of all times. Everytime I bring home fish my mother asks me if I would bring home a black cod. Best fish I ever ate, period. I was just wondering if they had any charter boats going out for black cod around northern California.

not charter boats that target black cod but alot of the commercial guys up here long line for black cod,you can buy it down in HMB. The closest thing to a "deep water" rock cod charter they have around here was a couple of charter boat captains got permits to fish for chili pepper rock fish which from my understanding was a huge flop. Exactly what I want to do go 35 miles offshore, fish in a 1000 feet water with several pound weights and heavy gear to get my ten fish limit of 2 pound rock cod kooky.gif sounds like a lot of work and a waste of time for a recreational fishery. now giant squid on the other hand now that sounds interesting...........

View PostAre these fish actually in the cod/hake family or something altogether different?

They are in a different family all together and not related to true atlanitc cod or hake.

Thanks a lot - I googled them up when I got home from work and they look nothing like our codfish...I think there is a pacific variety of our cod (and pollack) in the Pacific north of your location.

there is a Pacific cod. it is a little different taxonomy wise but pretty much the same family. the pull them up in the crab traps on Deadliest Catch all the time. wink.gif

i would actually love to do a cod trip out east sometimes.