Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RUjs81

Spinning reel for around $200

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

ok, so after reading the threads and using Lami's as my go to inshore rod choice for years, I have decided on a Mojo 10' 1-4 as my first surf rod. What spinning reel will be best for me in the $200 range? If I hit 200 I can use a $15 online discount at a certain website. I heard recommendations of baitrunner/spheros, but I might as well hit 200 and get the discount.

Saragosa is a sweet reel...although I prefer baitrunners. Save the Saltist for boating. Not meant for dealing with sand. I have both reels and I use my Sealine more than any other.

With the 10' Mojo can I get away with the STT4500H Saltist or do the 5000 for the extra drag weight and retrieval speed? They both hold a ton of line, even when compared to a 6000 Stradic. Saltist offers more drag and more retrieval compared to the Shimano's, and at about the same weight. seems like a good option, i still have a 1100 yd spool of 50# PP with some line on it that i will probably use

Saragosa for plugging for sure. The size is a matter of preference. I have an 8000 on my Airwave 11ft 3-5oz. that balances very well. Sweet. The Saltist is sweet but there is a gap at the base of the handle which sand easily gets into. There is a fix for that gap on this site using o\\rings. I haven't used it because of that reason. If you want the Saltist i"ll sell you mine. Used once. 4500.

View PostSPHEROS FB 6000 or 8000 and go for the bailess/PP30 to reach $200.

Bailess?

Baliess kits go for about $25 and I love mine for my Tica 9 footer. Only trouble is watching the bail arm since the weight of the handle drops it if you aren't careful. Little practice...no big deal. Plus the FB has amazing drag washers and takes a dunking like a champ.

Although I don't own one a step up would be the Saragosa...also easily converted to bailess like the Spheros.