Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
supertuna

Best saltwater hook

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Hey all! I was just wondering what everyone thinks in terms of the highest quality saltwater fishing hook for flats fishing and inshore fishing with 20lb braid and 12lb Fluoro. I have heard a lot of stuff about Mustad, but I'm not sure what other brands there are.? Thanks! smile.gif

I have heard good things about owner hooks, although they are more expensive.

I personally use gammagatsu for regular hooks and VMC or Mustad for treble hooks

It all depends on the style of fishing you are doing. I use different hooks for different fish. I do like Gammys but I also use a lot of Mustads. As far as Mustads being dull and straightening out, they would not have been in bussiness for as many years as they have if they didn't make good stuff. Most all Salteater Bucktail Jigs made use them, that should tell you something.

Dean

View PostIt all depends on the style of fishing you are doing. I use different hooks for different fish. I do like Gammys but I also use a lot of Mustads. As far as Mustads being dull and straightening out, they would not have been in bussiness for as many years as they have if they didn't make good stuff. Most all Salteater Bucktail Jigs made use them, that should tell you something.

Dean

Could just be the particular style of barbless Mustad that I was using, but I did have another fisherman approach me one time while sturgeon fishing, and offer me some of his hooks. I saw they were Mustad and politely declined. He said the only reason he offered them to me, is he had a few straighten out on him, and he was trying to give them away.

Seems I wasn't the only one who had issues with them.