Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldschool77

WTB: Mitchell 402 either stock or PUM/Crosswind

9 posts in this topic

I think I got my P's and Q's straight for my 9 foot oldschool Daiwa I am building up. If it is overall clean/ready to spin I am good to go. PUM/Crosswind/etc would be a big plus. A 302 would be a close second but I love the 402 knob.

Like this one biggrin.gif . This was winter project 2008 and got used a bunch in late spring of 09 with a Lami 1363. Crosswind cam, PUM, Penn HT100 drag washers (smoother than any of my ABU7000's), fatter knob, etc. I repainted it but then drilled it out for better wash. The new holes are protected with clear lacquer because the original paint was stored improperly (used a T-Shirt sprayer). From there she was put away summer of 09 with freshly packed synthetic grease. I'm into it for an easy $150 but would cut it in half and a couple bucks to ship...say $80.

All I would ask is if you don't like it that I get it back beers.gif .

Dang it is setup exactly how I wanted it...I am just trying to get used to the loud colors...I do love it and the price is more then reasonable but I just have to get those colors in my head with my pencil orange Daiwa. I am really into the detail, durability you put into this reel for the long haul and the fact you made sure the finish was protected even wher you drilled and that mean alot. If it was only in black lol...

Listen...let me sit on it for a few hours as this is an excellent reel setup and it looks like you took the time to make it bulletproof. I may leave the insides as is or I might grab the Crosswinds/higher speed retrieve gears. Not sure if you mentioned it was a 302/402

I really dig it...pretty slick.

Take your time. For what it's worth be careful with either the 302 or 402 that have crosswind cams installed. The original drag stack is not friendly and leaves a sizeable gap at the top of the line lay. As has been mentioned in other threads (I believe it was in the distance casting or reel maintenance) forum(s) that gap brings nothing but wind knots. You'll toss the reel after 20 minutes (been there). With the HT100 washers correctly installed the problem is no more.

Colors are louder in the pics than "reel" life. I did the yellow to pick up on the Honey Lami blank. The gearing is original but the actual gears are aftermarket. The roller also has an actual bearing in it as well.

Dutch

Edit: I'm happy to report the reel comes with Taug and Bass mojo...no extra charge. The synthetic grease also does a reasonable job of keeping sand out. We were working Horseneck beach when I leaned the rod against the parking lot fence. Wind blew it over right into a drift of sand, my son picked it up, dropped it again, blah, blah...it was covered. Shook out the whole deal in the waves. Yeah it ground a bit but a few turns and all was right as rain. Love those 704's but the Mitchell was no slouch in the durability dept either. Tight lines...

Mako let's do this. I am not going to get hung up on a color. You seem like a standup guy who built this the way it should have originally been done.

Is it drilled in the bottom of the cup as well? What line do you recommend?

Send me a paypal invoice and I can just have it painted or left as-is

Matt

View PostTake your time. For what it's worth be careful with either the 302 or 402 that have crosswind cams installed. The original drag stack is not friendly and leaves a sizeable gap at the top of the line lay. As has been mentioned in other threads (I believe it was in the distance casting or reel maintenance) forum(s) that gap brings nothing but wind knots. You'll toss the reel after 20 minutes (been there). With the HT100 washers correctly installed the problem is no more.

Colors are louder in the pics than "reel" life. I did the yellow to pick up on the Honey Lami blank. The gearing is original but the actual gears are aftermarket. The roller also has an actual bearing in it as well.

Dutch

Edit: I'm happy to report the reel comes with Taug and Bass mojo...no extra charge. The synthetic grease also does a reasonable job of keeping sand out. We were working Horseneck beach when I leaned the rod against the parking lot fence. Wind blew it over right into a drift of sand, my son picked it up, dropped it again, blah, blah...it was covered. Shook out the whole deal in the waves. Yeah it ground a bit but a few turns and all was right as rain. Love those 704's but the Mitchell was no slouch in the durability dept either. Tight lines...

Actually I hate to say this but I am backing out. The reel is too nice for what I need on a beater Daiwa I am only going to use on freshwater at the beginning/end of every season. Just too nice for me to take the paint off of.

Thanks all for the replies...

THREAD CLOSED!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0