Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tfisher

Simms vs. LL Bean

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

that's all I can stand and I can't stand no more!!!

after my last session I left the beach wet on my calves - wet on my feet and now wet on my arse & crotch - nothing makes a trip more miserable than being wet - and I'm not talking about condensation wet either - you can feel the water seep in as soon as you get your boots in the water -

I HAVE to get new waders - its just not fun anymore - otherwise I'm going to own stock in Aquaseal

Which are better for the quality and warranty: Simms or LL Bean ?

I keep hearing about how great Simms gear is but nothing about a warranty -

for LL , I hear about how great their waders are AND the warranty -

Which do you chose and why ???

thanks - T

Have a pair of orvis boot fit going on 3rd year. 2 small leaks that I patched no prob. Light and comfortable. I fish rocky shore mostly so they hold up pretty well. I too didn't realize how much more enjoyable it was to be dry... What a difference.

I wear simms. Pricey but worth every penny. My first pair of G3 waders lasted me 6 seasons of heavy use. On my second now. So comfortable I forget I'm wearing them.

Half way through the second year of my ll bean helix waders and not an issue to speak of.

SIMMS are in a class all to their own. Their R&D is incredible and service has always been top notch.

Other companies are good too.....

Just not comparable to SIMMS - IMO opinion of course.smile.gif

Simms are great waders. Have 2 pair. Just got a pair of stockingfoots w/ the zipper. Man is that sweet!!

Very nice people to deal w/ also.

Love my SnowBee bootfoots; but they're a thing of the past. Have to see how long they hold up. Only leaks were from me sticking hooks in em. Best boot I've ever used.

Simms sets the bar. I put these Guides through hell. Also check the zipper. makes it easy when you have to Pee.

Customer service is top notch.I just called them with a boot issue and they credited me towards a new pair when they really didnt have to. Great company IMHO.

The LL Bean Wicked toughs were good, lasted me a season and a half with no leaks. but the Simms Guides are in a league by themselves.

I'm on my second pair of LL Bean's... My first pair lasted almost 6 years until one of the seams gave way... LL Bean took them back and gave me a brand new pair... Their customer service is second to none IMHO.

simms are great- i've never had a problem with them. as a guide in alaska i'd burn through a pair+ a season and now as a rec i still go through a pair of g3's every other year.

over the years i've had customers tell me they returned boots that leaked right out of the box and that simms was great to deal with... a few of them said they had to return boots a 2nd time and that simms was not as easy to deal with... i guess simms will give you the benifit of the doubt once- after that they must figure your doing something wrong...

Simms' customer service is not perfect, I had to pay shipping both ways (heavy boot foots-$24 each way) to fix a warranty defect on boots that were a year old.

In spite of that, I own two pairs of Simms and would buy them again without hesitation. They are dependable, tough, and it is easy to find the holes and patch when they leak. The seams are solid and material highest quality. Getting cheap chinese waders built by someone who will not be held responsible for turning out shoddy work, and then counting on a good company to back them only makes sense if you don't mind putting up with failure and accepting the hassle of returning an item over and over.

View Postsimms are great- i've never had a problem with them. as a guide in alaska i'd burn through a pair+ a season and now as a rec i still go through a pair of g3's every other year.

over the years i've had customers tell me they returned boots that leaked right out of the box and that simms was great to deal with... a few of them said they had to return boots a 2nd time and that simms was not as easy to deal with... i guess simms will give you the benifit of the doubt once- after that they must figure your doing something wrong...

I got that feeling as well. They helped me out sight unseen but I wouldn't push my luck over and over.

Simms makes fantastic waders, they are extremely durable and very comfortable. I had a pair of G3 for 6 seasons without an issue. I sent them in this past season to have new suspender sewn in because I thought they were a little stretched out. They offered make the repair at no cost or give me a discounted deal on a new pair.

The problem with Simms is that you can't drop them on the counter of the store, tell them that they failed, and walk out with a new pair in under 5 minutes without paying a dime.

Simms makes fantastic waders. But like Death and Takes, leaks in waders are an inevitable circumstance.

I've also had Bean overnight me a pair of new waders when they failed, on their dime I might add.

With Simms you pay the price for a quality product that will last. With Bean you may not get the greatest product but you will get a company that will stand behind them as long as the Simms will likely last.

It's a cost versus inconvenience thing.

I have a Bean 15 minutes from me. The inconvenience is minor and since waders ever just totally let go it's not much of an issue for me.