rp_carr

Sluggo's on Jigheads

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I remember last year seeing quite a few guys catching a lot of stripers on short sluggo's on jig heads. This was around the mouth of a river where the current was very strong. I talked to a few guys and they showed me what they were using. They were short sluggo's cut at the head. Maybe 3-4" of sluggo on jig heads that looked like they were 1-2 OZ. I've seen a lot of information on the internet about similiar rigs and how to rig them but nothing on how to retrieve them.

I'm assuming people tend to let them hit bottom then retrieve with short strokes, bouncing them on the bottom. Are people also doing straight retrieves? Any hints on how to retrieve a sluggo rigged on a jig head? Thanks in advance.

Just like your jigging. Retrieve it the same way as jigging, i personally cut the top of a 9in sluggo off and use that. But i guess smaller would work, it is still jigging just with a different trailer. Good luck.

Instructions for Using Sluggos in River (my way)

Remove Sluggo from bag

Place head first in mouth

Bite off 1/4 of an inch

Place on 3/4-1 ounce jig

Fish entirely through water column with various retrieves.

If you hook up repeat whatever you were just doing.

If sluggo becomes torn from fish or current remove sluggo from jig head place sluggo in mouth and removed damaged portion. Return to jig head and party on.

Simple, easy, tried, and true

View PostInstructions for Using Sluggos in River (my way)

Remove Sluggo from bag

Place head first in mouth

Bite off 1/4 of an inch

Place on 3/4-1 ounce jig

Fish entirely through water column with various retrieves.

If you hook up repeat whatever you were just doing.

If sluggo becomes torn from fish or current remove sluggo from jig head place sluggo in mouth and removed damaged portion. Return to jig head and party on.

Simple, easy, tried, and true

Harry, where do you spit the little heads? Do you swallow them?

If there is only 3-4 inches of a sluggo left I would say blues are in the area! I personally cut about a half inch of a 9", then rig it on to a 3 or 4 oz jighead, then I glue the sluggo to the head with some loctite super glue. It holds up pretty well in the salt and keep the sluggo from moving and tearing as fast.

View PostHarry, where do you spit the little heads? Do you swallow them?

The little bite off pieces are placed in my zipper pocket on the front of my waders.

Put them on Point Jude Wobble heads!!!heart.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=251871&d=124

you guys HAVE to use these wobble heads....night and day !!!!!

Just take a look at that rig ....they swim like a champ !!!

you guys HAVE to use these wobble heads....night and day !!!!!

Just take a look at that rig ....they swim like a champ !!!

I've used the eelbobs he makes too. Also 1oz ball jigs. Almost anything of this type works.

I made up a few on the point judes and haven't got to swim them yet. From the looks of the pics I think I made mine upside down. Is the flat side supposed to be the top of the sluggo? Is the eye in the middle for rigging eels or another option for your leader tie? I ll have to get them out and get refreshed on them. Bought a bunch of them and made several styles and colors.