Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ING

About Sebile (fg) knot

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

I've heard and read a lot of good things about Sebile (fg) knot and went to use it.

I've searched everything what I could find on the Internet about that knot.

I've decided that website

"> 2e9XgPsWZao

is the best and followed those instructions very meticulously. Tied each step as strong as possible. Melted good bulb etc... So, as I said, I've followed those instructions very meticulously.

Today while casting (not the strongest one) I lost my best lure with fluorocarbon 30lb.

Knot on the braid has been left undamaged but fluorocarbon disappear... Mine lost leader was about 3ft.

May be Sebile knot has been designed for long shock leaders when effort during casting doesn't applied directly to the knot and can't bear the sharp jerking?

Any suggestions and advices???

Thanks

kooky.gif 7 minutes to tie a knot? Tie an Alberto & your good to go. Nice looking knot but way to long to tie. Try tying that knot in the middle of the night in the middle of a Blitz! cwm31.gif

I do not like any knot that depends on a melted portion of a line that has no bends to hold it. After being in the water for a while I have seen the knot start to slip and eventually pop off the melted "bulb" releasing the entire leader from the braid. If you are going to take that much time to tie a knot, which I do not see happening while fishing, why not just go with hollow core spectra and do a splice. The splice will be much more streamlined and stronger.

John

I've been using the FG knot w/o a problem. Love it since it goes through the guides easily AND there's no bent mono on the shock leader that can cut your thumb on the way out - for those who use conventional (me).

The only time I had a failure with this knot was when I didn't tighten during the braiding - which I found during a quick test before heading out. Yesterday, I got hung up and had to break off - the braid broke above the knot. Once you get famliiar with it, it doesn't take that long to tie it.

The sebile (fg) knot is great, when it is done right. If you don't tie it right, it will loosen over time and come undone. If you become proficient at tying them, it only take a couple of minutes. Melting the line (or some people use a drop of crazy glue) is only an insurance policy.

I have one reel that I tied this knot on last year on a 3 ft leader and it lasted all year through a number of fish. I will finally need to replace it as my wife was using it and snagged something - I had to break it off.

Also, I have done some testing on the knot. Used #50 braid (different brands) to #50 mono pulling from each end. It took a lot to break, but the braided line broke before the know or the mono. Did the test about half a doze times with the same result each time.

I swear by the sebile knot!

LOL....lets see you tie that one on a jetty or one the beach...in the wind...in the dark...with wet hands. Might be a great casting knot, but if you can't replace it quickly while on the water in the event of a breakoff, it's useless.

TimS

View PostLOL....lets see you tie that one on a jetty or one the beach...in the wind...in the dark...with wet hands. Might be a great casting knot, but if you can't replace it quickly while on the water in the event of a breakoff, it's useless.

TimS

You are absolutely correct. Like every other piece of fishing equipment, it has its right place and time.

Agreed. This gets tied before I head out. Maybe I've been lucky (or it's because there are no fish in RI) but I've only had to replace it twice since I started using it (about a year). Both in the past week cause I cast into a known sticky patch. D'oh moment when I realized what I had done.

That is the worst video to choose to learn how to tie the FG knot. Sebile knot is the same but if you break each leg down, it is much easier. Look for the Sebile knot. With practice, under 2 minutes and you don't need 10 hands and 20 teeth to tighten the knot either. And there is no need to burn the mono end, it is not what is holding the knot together.

Also, keep practicing the knot. Because the knot works on the friction of the braid onto the mono, ideally you should see the braid change as it compresses the leader.

Some people say not to follow that video you posted.

I tie mine more similar to this and it hasn't failed yet. *fingers crossed*

"> 8_VhXSBmlVE

View PostI do not like any knot that depends on a melted portion of a line that has no bends to hold it. After being in the water for a while I have seen the knot start to slip and eventually pop off the melted "bulb" releasing the entire leader from the braid. If you are going to take that much time to tie a knot, which I do not see happening while fishing, why not just go with hollow core spectra and do a splice. The splice will be much more streamlined and stronger.

John

This knot doesn't depends only on the melted portion of a line.

It is a kind of self-tying knots. The stronger pulling of the braid should making stronger grasping of the mono. Some websites demonstrating FG knot without bulb at all.

I am just trying to figure out why mono slip out.

It has happened after several days of intensive casting.

May be moisture made PowerPro a little bit longer and loose?

Or may be Ugly is right and a fluoro too hard for biting by braid and slimy?

Or may be I've used too thick braid - 40lb vs 30lb fluoro?

May be that knot good for more thin braids and relatively thick mono?

I like the idea of those knot because it is small and has no folded end of mono which sometimes capturing coils of the braid under it and could create a mess. Yes, it takes more time for tying... Well, all good things requiring some efforts...

Thanks

Thanks everybody for participation.
Here are some webs. with similar knots:

fg knot

" height="355" width="425" />

Asian1(very good also)

Asian2(very good also)

ING.

Keep practicing your FG knot. It is superior to any knot out there. I haven't tied the PR knot but after my success with the FG knot I'm more than confident for any kind of battle.

Good stuff.

ING.

Keep practicing your FG knot. It is superior to any knot out there. I haven't tied the PR knot but after my success with the FG knot I'm more than confident for any kind of battle.

Good stuff.