Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moveover

What's the best-eating fish?

Rate this topic

119 posts in this topic

Some of you seem to think its a crime to keep fish, let alone eat themwink.gif but for those fish-eating barbarians, which fish is best?

I just had mackerel for the first time in my long life and i think its one of the best. Mackerel is generally looked down upon as too oily and 'fishy', but i think it tastes great. Because of its bad rep, it's real cheap at the fish market.

Who needs fish that dont taste like much of anything, like dover sole and flounder. It seems the blander the fish the more expensive and the more it is in demand.

I would imagine wild salmon is great but aside from smoked salmon at a deli, I've never had it. Of course, lobster is right up there.

Blackfish!

Also, I prefer crab over lobster...I know everyone is going to beatin.gif for saying it but I find lobster overrated. I also love bluefish which many seem to look upon like the bubonic plague.

I was very surprised at how good sturgeon tasted. Something like a sweet pork chop, but more tender. For me, its a toss up between sturgeon and some well marbled salmon.

i agree with the crab over lobster thing! i think its a consistency issue i have. dont get me wrong, i love lobster but i'll take some alaskan king over anything! but as far as fishies go, i love me some chilean sea bass.

If shellfish are included... 1 dozen raw oysters at Cooter Browns, New Orleans, LA.... used to be best.... but who knows now.frown.gif

Dolphin is my fav.

Its also considered very healthy because it has a fast growth cycle. Meaning it has less time to accumulate impurities from the environment by the time is big enough to eat.

Its a mild white fish. Ive had some nice Mexican dished with it.

Crab #1 (Dungeness, king, blue, even snow) lobster's a close second (roasted, not steamed there's no comparison), very close followed by mussels, clams and toothfish. Then it's prolly tog, black sea bass, flounder and smoked bluefish. Yeah bluefish is on the list.

If anyone says tilapia I'm putting you on my ignore list.

I love Black Sea Bass next Scup ,I only will keep a 28" bass I'll let all others go and I only keep male Sea bass ' Blue crab is my 2nd best only keep males

I'm the only one in my family that Gouges on seafood , had enough Lobster when I was a stearn man / deck hand ,when I was a young man & worked @ a marina fueling boats , cooking Lobsters 2 order for the marina and chacing the boat owners daughters , I was 17/ 19 yo @ the time

ML

I'm another one of those who prefer crab over lobster. I love clams, too, but apparently I'm allergic to them because both times I ate them I got sick. Unusual for me, I have a cast iron stomach.

My favorite saltwater fish is flounder. For freshwater fish yellow perch, probably because there's so little waste when filleted, and they're delicious. Walleye, sauger, crappie and bluegill are high on the list, too.

I know a couple people who ear longnse gar. They say it tastes like lobster? kooky.gif

I haven't really eaten much fish in my life, nobody in my family does. But from what I hear pompano is right up there near the top. And the ones I've caught are pretty darn tasty wink.gif