Followers 0
Walter Sobchak

Sniper clips two Taliban from more than 1 1/2 miles away

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

The super sniper: Hero picks off two Taliban from a mile and a half away

By Ian Drury

Last updated at 9:02 PM on 2nd May 2010

article-1270414-09659EDE000005DC-11_306x Hero: Craig Harrison saved his Army colleagues by killing two Taliban machinegunners from more than 1.5 miles away

An army sniper has earned a place in military history by killing two Taliban machine gunners from more than a mile and a half away.

Craig Harrison's record breaking shots felled the insurgents with consecutive bullets - even though they were 3,200ft beyond the official range of his rifle.

The Household Cavalry veteran's kills from a distance of 8,120ft beat the previous record by 150ft.

He was using the British-built L115A3 Long Range Rifle, the Army's most powerful sniper weapon.

He was so far away that the 8.59mm-calibre bullets took almost three seconds to reach their target. Scores of Taliban gunmen h-ve fallen to the gun which has been nicknamed The Silent Assassin.

It is only designed to be effective at up to 4,921ft - just less than a mile - and capable of only ' harassing fire' beyond that range.

But Corporal Harrison took his record-breaking shots after his commander and Afghan soldiers were attacked during a patrol in Helmand in November last year.

His vehicle was further back on a ridge, with his sights trained on a Taliban compound. He said: 'We saw two insurgents running through its courtyard. They came forward carrying a machine gun and opened fire on the commander's wagon.

'Conditions were perfect, no wind, mild weather, clear visibility.

Read more: http://www.*******.co.uk/news/article-1270414/British-sniper-sets-new-sharpshooting-record-1-54-mile-double-Taliban-kill.html#ixzz0msKOVDj0

View PostVideo, I need video!smile.gif

...very disappointed. Was hoping for another haji snuff film! redface.gif

ps. my compliments to the marksman! we'll take em' one at a time! wink.gif

I love it!!!

If I were ever brave enough to join the military, I would have loved to have been a sniper.. the rush that must go though your mind when you take down a hostile without them even knowing you are stalking them must be sick. Ive seen that rifle on one of the shows on the military channel.. Absolutely incredible.

Congrats to the Brave solider who all he did was his job!!

Bc

View PostI love it!!!

If I were ever brave enough to join the military, I would have loved to have been a sniper.. the rush that must go though your mind when you take down a hostile without them even knowing you are stalking them must be sick. Ive seen that rifle on one of the shows on the military channel.. Absolutely incredible.

Congrats to the Brave solider who all he did was his job!!

Bc

I'd be right behind you BC, shooting folks would not have been my problem, having them shoot at me is another story. God bless our troops!!

View PostHe was so far away that the 8.59mm-calibre bullets took almost three seconds to reach their target.

8.59mm-calibre =(.338 Lapua Magnum) for those, like myself, who hadn't heard of it! The L115A1 is the British equilivent of Accuracy International AWM...Potent weapon, and expensive. And the .338 Lapua Magnum, just a tad down from the .50 BMG, a potent cartridge...and still, good shooting!

View PostAmazing! Must be a hell of a scope, too, to see that freaking far!
Schmidt & Bender 5-25 x 56 Police Marksman II LP Riflescope, they go for around $3,200

I'd like to buy that soldier a beer. beers.gif