Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leadwing

Lube And The Pflueger Medalist 1494 DA

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I recently bought a Medalist off of Ebay for my split cane rod and I noticed that there's no old grease or oil inside of it. I was wondering if this is a reel that doesn't require lube (I thought they all did). I requested an owner's manual from Shakespear but was told that the reel is an old one and the manual they have for it will not interchange.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Leadwing

I'm looking at my old 1494 and suggest you lightly grease the spool shaft. Also, lightly oil the spool retrieve handle shaft, the spool anti-reverse pin (it's spring loaded) and the drag spring mechanism including the threaded rod that adjusts the drag compression force. Apply several drops of light oil inside the push spring area that releases the reel from the spool. There are two small screws that fasten the Medalist name plate to the spool. No need to dissemble that plate (nylon) from the spool. There is enough of an opening around the spool release push lever to allow light oil to penetrate the spring are under that circular spool release" cover". I have about 10 Medalist reels from the large 1498 to the small 1492. They all work fine after over 40 yrs of service.

Send me a PM with your name and address and I'll mail you a copy of the Medalist schematics, parts list and maintainence instructions for their complete line of single action reels (1492, 1498).

Peter D.

PS - The last new Medalist I purchased was the 1494 in June1980 - cost was $23.50. I've purchased a number of them on ebay.

Leadwing:

I asked the Moderator to send you instructions to enable your PM communication. I could not determine how to do this - although my PM "link" is operative.

Peter D

I believe that feature only becomes active when you've made a given number of posts, whatever it is. There's nothing to do in particular; just keep participating.

If you use them in saltwater, try some auto wax or boat wax (Collinite) to add a layer of protection to the finish. I have a pre-China 1498 that saw many years in the salt and it still looks pretty good - wx and occassional spritz of WD-40.

Peter: If it'll work for you you can email me at leadwing@live.com then I'll email you my address.

Jeff: Are they your reels in the pic? If so you're my hero, man. My ultimate wish reel is one of those pre-war Medalists with the round line guard & "bowling pin" cross pillars.

Brian: Willdo

Yes my limited collection. The bigger odd sized ones are my favorite and they don't go for nearly as much as the old small ones. You can have a round line guard put on you know. Onepfoot in NH will install line guards and various other cool options. He also sells totally tricked out Pfluegers too. I haven't indulged in any of his reels but his tricked out ones are cool

Leadwing:

Here is the site for Medalist parts and upgrades that Jeff referenced.

http://www.onepfoot.com/

I emailed you a copy of the Medalist Manual and Parts list for all their single action 1400 (non-rim controlled) fly reels. Hope this helps.

Peter D.

PS- If anyone else would like a copy of this reference please send me a PM or email me at:

karendigi@comcast.net

As far as onepfoot... Most Medalists do not fit the modern fly reel seat. Onepfoot came to the rescue several years ago by offering a high quality replacement reel foot. They became unavailable for awhile. Lots of folks panicked. Not sure when... but within the last year onepfoot got going strong again. I recently had a new (mid 60's) 1494 half tricked out with the round line guard/sculptured pillars and metal latch cover. This is still the least expensive reel I own and probably my favorite. Most of the modern reels just don't look look right on bamboo. Bill at onepfoot is a craftsman. I was not aware he had already tricked out reels available.