Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr Nasty

What kind of fish is this?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Well thanks for the warm welcome. Fish was dead buy the time my kid reeled it up. It wasn't in sf or near there. Ranger called it a red perch but I didn't believe him so that's why I asked you guys. Tasted ok! biggrin.gif

Yo Nasty,

This is a pretty young one. They get much darker with age but they never loose those brilliant reds and blues that highlight them. They are usually found very close to kelp beds and a partial to orange offerings when one is using artificials.

Tight Lines, Rich

***edited - response to removed post***

Mr Nasty> We are trying to help you from getting in trouble, maybe if you

would've said that the Ranger saw the fish.

I wouldn't have said my reply...what gets me is why the Ranger didnt say

anything else...and don't you guys have booklets over there like we do

here in Fl??

They give you the regulations (season/slots/limits).....headscratch.gif....

I understand there are times you don't want to kill a fish when you don't know the species.

In my case, I was fishing a small local urban pond stocked with rainbow trout or catfish and has a native population of bluegills, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass and carp.

The problem with this small urban lake is that people will throw aquarium fish in it when they get tired of the upkeep. So there are envasive species in this lake.

Last year, I caught some weird looking fish and I had no idea what it was. Obviously it wasn't one of the species that lives in this pond. It wasn't listed in the fish ID section of the fishing regs. So I killed it and disposed of it. I was wondering, would it count toward my limit?

View Post...and don't you guys have booklets over there like we do

here in Fl??

They give you the regulations (season/slots/limits).....headscratch.gif....

Yup, DFG puts out a pamphlet complete with pretty pictures of the fish and all regulations. It is also available online. I keep it stickied on the top of the West Coast Forum. wink.gif

Actually, I believe it is a striped surfperch. Rainbow surfperch are colorful fish that look similar to striped perch, but without the bright blue lines. For some reason the named the more colorful fish of the two, the striped perch.

http://www.vnesten.com/shore/StripedPerch.html

http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/projects...surfperch.html

(a somewhat washed out photo)

http://www.slosea.org/taxonomy/fish.php (scroll down to the other fish section an click on the photo)

---

View Posti agree a striped perch not a rainbow perch.

Wrong, striped are much darker with blue going horizontal.

See.

Striped Perch:

485248920_ce60559ed1.jpg?v=0

Rainbow:

09413.jpg

Just as tautog and blackfish are very, very difficult to distinguish, apparently the same is true these fish. Same fish: different names. I think maybe it was a good thing there wasn't a post by anyone who might have recognized it as a blue perch. Reportedly, this is a third name for it. I became suspicious of something, after seeing post #28. I found the information about alternative names in a CA pier fishing site. But, was the Ranger as correct too? (I'm not going there.)